المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : كلمة هذا اليوم Hornswoggle

عبد الحفيظ جباري
04/02/2008, 05:28 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته،
يسعدني أن أوافي الواتاويين بكلمة هذا اليوم.
والسلام عليكم.

Hornswoggle (verb)
Pronunciation: ['horn-swah-gêl]

Definition: (Slang) To cheat, swindle, hoodwink, or bamboozle.

Usage: The participle, "hornswoggling" may be used as an adjective or noun and someone who hornswoggles, of course, is a hornswoggler. "Well, I'll be hornswoggled!" is a slang expression of surprise in the U.S.

Suggested Usage: Hornswoggling usually involves money, "Victoria hornswoggled me out of $2,000 before I found out she was not an investment broker," or "Hubert hornswoggled 40 of us with his scheme to develop property in the Sonoma Desert." However, the involvement of money is not crucial, "Juanita hornswoggled Marvin into marrying her by telling him she loved housework."

Etymology: We do not know the origin of hornswoggle. It belongs to a group of “fancified” words that were particularly popular in the American West in the 19th century, words exhibiting the frontier skepticism toward educated speech. "Hornswoggle" first appeared in print in Kentucky in 1929. Other words of this ilk are "stick-to-it-iveness," first appearing in 1867, "skedaddle," which appeared in 1861 somewhere in Missouri, and "discombobulate," in 1916. "Bamboozle" first appeared in England around 1700, indicating an earlier tradition of such concocted words.

–Dr. Language, YourDictionary.com

عبد الحفيظ جباري
04/02/2008, 05:28 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته،
يسعدني أن أوافي الواتاويين بكلمة هذا اليوم.
والسلام عليكم.

Hornswoggle (verb)
Pronunciation: ['horn-swah-gêl]

Definition: (Slang) To cheat, swindle, hoodwink, or bamboozle.

Usage: The participle, "hornswoggling" may be used as an adjective or noun and someone who hornswoggles, of course, is a hornswoggler. "Well, I'll be hornswoggled!" is a slang expression of surprise in the U.S.

Suggested Usage: Hornswoggling usually involves money, "Victoria hornswoggled me out of $2,000 before I found out she was not an investment broker," or "Hubert hornswoggled 40 of us with his scheme to develop property in the Sonoma Desert." However, the involvement of money is not crucial, "Juanita hornswoggled Marvin into marrying her by telling him she loved housework."

Etymology: We do not know the origin of hornswoggle. It belongs to a group of “fancified” words that were particularly popular in the American West in the 19th century, words exhibiting the frontier skepticism toward educated speech. "Hornswoggle" first appeared in print in Kentucky in 1929. Other words of this ilk are "stick-to-it-iveness," first appearing in 1867, "skedaddle," which appeared in 1861 somewhere in Missouri, and "discombobulate," in 1916. "Bamboozle" first appeared in England around 1700, indicating an earlier tradition of such concocted words.

–Dr. Language, YourDictionary.com