المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : كلمتا هذا اليوم Putative / Flummox

عبد الحفيظ جباري
05/03/2008, 12:49 PM
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته،
يسرني أن أوافي الواتاويين بكلمتي هذا اليوم.
استفادة طيبة والسلام عليكم.

Putative (adjective)
Pronunciation: ['pyu-tê-tiv]

Definition: Commonly supposed; assumed without conclusive grounds for belief.

Usage: The only other derivational relative today's word has is the adverb "putatively." "Putative" is nearly synonymous with "reputed" but carries a strong connotation of untruth much more like "supposed."

Suggested Usage: Today's word suggests itself when any sort of reputation is at issue: "His putative expertise in car repair evaporated quickly in the heat of an actual motor under the hood of my car." The reputation does not have to be a human one, "My dog is the putative father of their dog's puppies, but, well, he was broken awhile ago so we had him fixed."

Etymology: From Old French "putatif," from Latin putare "to prune, think, reflect." The underlying root is *peu- "to cut, strike, stamp." It rendered other words a bit like "putative" in that they have to do with thinking or believing: "dispute" from Latin disputare "to think contentiously," "impute" from Latin imputare "to charge," and repute from Latin reputare "to examine repeatedly."

–Dr. Language, YourDictionary.com

Flummox (verb)
Pronunciation: ['flê-mêks]

Definition: (Colloquial) To totally confuse, to confuse to the point of frustration.

Usage: "Flummox" is hardly a word we proper speakers of English would use. It is a term originating in the musty dialects of Merry Old (England) that has assumed residence in the vocabularies of reporters. Its origin apparently flummoxed Dickens, who wrote in the Pickwick Papers in 1837 (xxxiii), "He'll be what the Italians call reg'larly flummoxed." In 1840 the Cambridge University Magazine printed, "So many of the men I know Were 'flummox'd' at the last great-go [the final examination at Oxford-Dr. Language]."

Suggested Usage: Today's contributor (see below), himself a journalist, writes, "A volatile stock that changes without regard to market expectations, for example, leaves investors 'flummoxed', according to my newspaper and others like it. I have yet to hear a real-life investor complain of such a condition." Perhaps they are too flummoxed to comment. More likely this results from the fact that the term seldom strays beyond the pale of journalism.

Etymology: According to the OED, it is probably of dialectal origin; cf. flummocks "to maul, mangle," flummock "slovenly person," also "hurry, bewilderment," flummock "to make untidy, to confuse, bewilder" variously used in Hereford, Gloucester, S. Cheshire, and Sheffield.

–Dr. Language, YourDictionary.com