المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : ترجمة "جواري العصر"/ المجموعة القصصية لنزار الزين

د. دنحا طوبيا كوركيس
02/10/2006, 07:08 PM
الأعضاء الكرام
نعيد نشر ترجمة "جواري العصر"، المجموعة القصصية لأديبنا نزار الزين، بعدما ضاع ما ضاع من إرث وجهد.

دنحا

ايمان حمد
05/07/2008, 08:28 PM
شكرا بروفسور دنحا

هذه الاعمال الأدبية القيمة اول مرة اراها هنا

اسمح لى بنشرها حتى يتسنى للجميع قراءتها اذا ما تلف الملف المرفق

================================================

MAIDS OF OUR TIME

A Collection of Ten Arabic Short Stories
By: Nizar B. Zain
Translation: Dinha T. Gorgis

Preface

One of the most annoying tasks encountered by the translator of a collection of literary work,
say short stories or poems, is their search for the most viable *Banned**Banned**Banned**Banned**Banned*alent of its title. As a rule-
of-thumb, writers are supposed to select their titles in conformity with overall themes of texts
comprising the whole work. Thus a first reading of Nizar B. Zain’s ten Arabic short stories,
translated here into English, gives the reader an impression that the story-teller has successfully
matched his collection’s title with the theme of every single story. The matching, as readers
will find out in “The Prince’s Whim”, in particular, is quite consonant; the heroine is, as in
Haroun Al-Rashid’s adventures and “One Thousand and One Nights”, more of a slave-girl than
a mere maid. And hence my initial translation of the collection into “Slave-Girls of Our Own
Time”.

Upon a second reading, and while translating, I have come to the conclusion that females in the
worlds Zain portrays are ill-treated, harassed, beaten up, intimidated, denied their rights and,
above all, raped. It is only in the last story: “PARENTAGE Vs. Parentage” that the protagonist’s
girlfriend, then a wife rejected by his parents, misses all such qualifications, but ill-treatment, and
who is lucky enough to having secured the protection of her educated family. As this sub-title
suggests, negative/positive parental reactions towards a love story are juxtaposed.

I avoided literal translation as much as I could; for I intended to produce a quality literary work
that would equally appeal to the English audience. I also avoided the use of footnotes to explain
cultural artifacts and rituals; rather I used square brackets within the text in order not to digress
the reader’s stream of consciousness. Coherence and cohesion have been closely observed; it is
only stylistic matters and aesthetic values that remain personal, which expert translators may
find debatable.

Omar Al-Ayyoubi was the first to comment on my use of ‘land’ for ‘county’ in the opening line
of the first story in an earlier version. He is correct, but Nizar Zain opted for real ‘oranges’ rather
than the ‘Orange County’ in California, and hence the smell that emits from a land, not a county.
Upon his suggestion, I replaced “piss off” for ‘leave’, though commonly used in the English culture when, for example, a too-angry wife dismisses her husband from the house. However, I acknowledge
his remarks.

As translation of modern literary Arabic work is rather scarce these days, I feel that the publication
of both Arabic and English versions side by side is of paramount importance for learners of both languages, novice translators, and students of literary and cultural studies as well as of contrastive discourse analysis.

Although translations are far from perfect, three students of mine, viz. Hiba Jibreel, Ruba Khalil,
and Hiba Jassir, were of great help in setting up computer programs, typing, and formatting in
an attempt to contribute to perfection. I owe them much for giving me a hand now and then.

Translator:

Dr Dinha T. Gorgis
Prof. of linguistics,
Hashemite University,
Jordan.
January 2006.

توطئة

من المنغصات التي تواجه مترجم مجموعة قصصية أو شعرية هي إيجاد عنوان شامل يتناسب ومضمون القصص أو القصائد برمتها، دون التحيز لمضمون واحدة دون الأخرى. فكلنا يعلم بأن الكاتب ما كان ليختار عنوانا دون قناعته بأن مجموع الأجزاء يساوي الكل. وهذا ما ينبغي للقارىء أن يتوقعه.

في قراءة أولية لمجموعة الأديب السوري نزار زين القصصية، والمترجمة هنا إلى الأنجليزية، يجد المتتبع لأحداث القصص العشرة بأن الكاتب قد أفلح تماما في اختيار عنوانه. وخير مثال لهذا الاختيار يتجسد في الفريسة المغلوب على أمرها في قصته "نزوة أمير"، هذه الفتاة التي شاء القدر (والكاتب) أن ينسجم الدور الذي تلعبه مع الأدوار التي تلعبه الجواري في ما يروى عن هارون الرشيد من قصص وفي حكايات ألف ليلة وليلة. ولذلك جاءت ترجمتي الأولى لعنوان المجموعة بذات المقصد، والتي ربما كان يعنيها الكاتب أصل، أي بمعنى الجارية التي تباع وتشترى من أجل المتعة، وهي قد تكون بمنأى عن بنات الهوى.

غير أنني، وفي قراءتي الثانية من خلال الترجمة، وجدت أن "جواري" نزار زين لسن كلهن متشابهات، وإن اشتركن في سوء معاملة الرجل العربي لهن، في الشرق والغرب على السواء. الرجل الذي يرسمه لنا أديبنا الواقعي نزار زين من المهجر هو "سيد الموقف". ورغم القاسم المشترك بينهن، فقد لاحظت أن القصة العاشرة "أبوّة وأبوّة" تسمو رفعة بين الأخريات، ففيها ينتصر الحب الذي تناصره عائلة الفتاة المثقفة، وتصده عائلة الحبيب الذي يجد في والد الفتاة أبا.

لقد آثرت أن تكون ترجمتي هذه، والتي أتوقع أن يجد القارىء فيها متعة، ترجمة وظيفية تحاكي الثقافة الغربية بابتعادها عن الحرفية وتقترب من شواطىء القصص القصيرة الأنجليزية في حسها الأدبي. وهذا ما دفعني إلى تجنب الهوامش في أسفل الصفحة خشية أن أقطع سلسلة تواصل الأفكار، ولو لهنيهات، فاستعضت بالأقواس المربعة لأضع بينها ما يستحق التوضيح من مفردات ذات الصلة بأزياء وطقوس عربية.

لقد حاولت جاهدا أن أوفق بين أهم دعامتين من دعامات تحرير الخطاب باللغة الأنجليزية، ألا وهما
"التماسك" و "التلاصق" الكفيلان بالحفاظ على وحدة الموضوع وانسيابيته. وما عدا ذلك، تبقى مسألتا الأسلوبية وجمالية الإخراج من المسائل الشخصية القابلة للاجتهاد.

ويطيب لي أن أخص بالشكر الزميل اللبناني عمر أيوبي، عضو الجمعية الدولية للمترجمين العرب، الذي أبدى بعض الملاحظات حول ترجمة القصة الأولى، أذكر منها اقتراحه في استخدام كلمة "مقاطعة". أجريت التعديل اللازم بعد أن علمت أن "مقاطعة البرتقال" التي أوردها القاص هي "مقاطعة الأورانج" في كاليفورنيا.

على أية حال، أقترح أن ينشر النصين العربي والأنجليزي معا، ليس فقط بسبب شحة المصادر الأدبية المترجمة من العربية إلى الأنجليزية هذه الأيام، بل لأنني أجدها ضرورة ملحة لكل من متعلمي العربية والأنجليزية، والمترجمين المبتدئين، وطلبة الجامعات التي تحتوي مقرراتهم الدراسية على مواد الدراسات الثقافية والأدبية، وخاصة مادة الثقافة العربية (باللغة الأنجليزية)، إضافة إلى مادة تحليل الخطاب المقارن.

ورغم أن الكمال لله وحده، فقد قامت ثلاثة من طالباتي في الجامعة الهاشمية بقسم اللغة الأنجليزية بمساعدتي في الطباعة والأمور الفنية المتعلقة ببرامج الكمبيوتر، مساهمة منهن في إخراج هذه الترجمة بأبهى صورة ممكنة. فلكل من هبة جبريل وربى خليل وهبة جاسر كل الشكر على ما بذلن من جهد.

المترجم

الدكتور دنحا طوبيا كوركيس
أستاذ اللغويات
الجامعة الهاشمية
الأردن
كانون الثاني 2006

1. A Maid All My Life?!
I Won’t Be It!

This is what I was in my family:
A frail female, deprived of all rights;
Just as mom, before me, used to be:
A weak female, unable to entertain the bliss of rights.
Even after marriage: frailty did my name remain,
And no rights to entertain.
Until a glow of revolt from the deep of my heart sparkled.

On the land of oranges [Orange County], one of California’s suburbs, was I born. At its schools I received my basic education. But when I was about to join high school, my father stood firm on it and prevented me because of his fears that I be soon like one of those American girls: unrestrained! He did it despite his full awareness that I had been a top student with outstanding school achievements and honor certificates to which my clean records bear witness.

Thus an arbitrary decision was made, and my helpless mom had no word to say on the matter, but keep mouth shut. On my own part, I did my best but all had gone with the wind. In return, nevertheless, I got two smacks which inflamed my tender cheeks and tightly kept my tongue tied. Although my defense was sent to prison, my tears had been set free for years to come!

Years in turmoil, one pressing onto another, had passed monotonously and meaninglessly…
My mom and I had nothing more than do the housework together for our big family. Our social life remained below zero: “no social visit-exchange whatsoever” or, put better, this is how dad wanted it to be.” Even if we went out for shopping, shopping had no other meaning than just doing the shopping; no more no less. “When I go to bed, after having a long strenuous work-day, I remain in deep slumber. And if sleep rebels, I’m no better off; day-dreams, pregnant with far-fetched hopes, become an phantom which delivers one and the same message: The legendary knight, a prince charming who could take me on his winged horse far far away from non-rhythmic state of the art. But, in no time, I’m soon back to conscious and bitter reality: No knight! No horse! Well, on what earth to expect a knight at a time we’ve been kept off, blind-folded, and not knowing what’s going on beyond the house’s walls, despite the fact that our area is inhabited by thousands of Arabs?”

When my brothers grew up, each found a job that could busy themselves with. My father, now an elderly, stopped to go to work. Therefore, he continued grumbling and growling: “I can no longer bear it here”, he often muttered “I’m gonna if I remain in my chair watching the TV all day long.” And as usual, another arbitrary move was taken without any prior notice. One day, not surprisingly, he returned home with an air-ticket in his hand; he merely wanted us to know that he was back to his homeland the next day. We had no more than amazing looks; none of us could utter a word. This is how we’d all been accustomed to: ” Passive actors!” in the face of “I’m your almighty god,” as it were!

After my brothers got married, one after another, to non-Arabs, each had started maneuvering and complaining about the hardships of life in an attempt to stop supporting us financially. So I had to work as waitress at a restaurant; not only my brothers did have no objection but, shockingly, my father, too, when he knew about the job. While musing over my helpless state as a desperate spinster, I received a short letter, one among few; from my father, which dictated that I was to marry one of his kins. As before, and without considering my position, another arbitrary decision had been made: “Do it, and at once! I gave my word to the lad, and he accepted to marry you. So finalize your papers in accordance with the American law,” the letter said.

Prince charming eventually appeared on the scene, but was empty-headed, banana head, penniless, and had no talent for any craft. What’s more funny is that my father insisted that I pay for his arrival ticket to the States! In a word, he became a spoiled son-in-law in the family. Just imagine that on my pay day, following my father’s instructions, I had to place my salary on the table so that he could pick up any amount and leave the rest for me. It all went like that till he found a job at a gasoline station.” Good heavens!” I exclaimed. “ it’s all over.” But…..?!

All hopes turned upside down: he started transferring all my salary to his eldest brother at homeland; his low wages meant very little on the scale of decent living. As with father, as with husband; once more, a helpless Arabian female who could do nothing but obey: The male is the master and me, a female, a life-long maid.
His act was easily justified: he meant to buy a piece of land at his hometown to build a house on it, allegedly to secure the future of our newly-born daughter(??!!!)
Honestly, I found the idea quite convincing at first but, later, I began to doubt his intentions….
A series of questions filled my head: “ Why not the land in his or my name?”
“Why in his brother’s name?”
“Why? Why? And why’s….”
Having found no answers, I had to reveal my doubts to my mother, one day…
And there she was: standing firmly bidding farewell to woman ‘frailty’.
In no time, she was out of her mind, and demanded that I be my husband’s partner in the
construction project, at least.
I did what she asked for. Upon hearing my suggestion, he went yellowish and his lips turned blue.
He shouted at me: “ Which one of us is the man?”
I answered politely: “But rights do not undermine your manhood.”
And two smacks, in return, followed; not different from the slaps I used to receive on my tender cheeks from my tyrant father now and then.
I cried, and cried…

But…

This time wailing and going into tears didn’t take long….
All of a sudden. I felt sparkling fires coming off my eyes and a glow of revolt out of my heart: “ No more of a maid, and I’ll never let my baby to be a maid!”
So without seeking the advice of anybody, I asked him to pack his things and leave the house at once. He refused to leave, and tried to use his muscles once again. I hurriedly took to the street with my daughter and started shouting threateningly: “ If you don’t leave our place at once, I’ll scream for help and call the police.” Then I continued vehemently: “I’ll no longer be a submissive maid…
“Got it? No longer be a maid!!”…. “ I won’t be it…!!” “ I won’t be it…!!”

1-

هكذا كنت مع أهلي
أنثى ضعيفة لا تملك أية حقوق
و هكذا كانت أمي من قبلي
و هكذا استمريت بعد أن تزوجت
إلى أن انبثقت شعلة التمرد من أعماق أعماقي !

ولدتُ في مقاطعة البرتقال من توابع كاليفورنيا ...
و تعلمت في مدارسها حتى بلغت المرحلة الثانوية ، حين منعني والدي من إتمام دراستي ، خوفا عليَّ من فساد المجتمع الأمريكي و إباحيته ، على الرغم من أنني كنت من المتفوقات و سجلاتي المدرسية كانت مليئة بعبارات الثناء ،إضافة إلى عدد من شهادات التقدير.
هكذا أصدر والدي قراره تعسفا ، و لم تحاول والدتي بشخصيتها السلبية أن تعارضه أو تناقشه ، أما انا فقد حاولت فكان نصيبي صفعتين أشعلتا النار في خديَّ الغضين ، و أخرستا لساني ، و أقمعتا أية قدرة احتجاجية لدي ، و لكنهما لم تفلحا بكبت دموعي لعدة سنوات .

و مضت السنون تدفع بعضها بعضا في وتيرة واحدة مملة ..
نخدم معا أنا و والدتي أسرتنا الكبيرة ، أما حياتنا الاجتماعية فلا تتعدى درجة الصفر ، فنحن منطوون – أو هكذا فرضها الوالد علينا – لا نزور و لا نُزار ، فإن خرجنا فللتسوق ليس إلا ؛ حتى إذا عدت إلى فراشي منهكة بعد شقاء اليوم بطوله ، أستغرق في ثبات عميق ؛ أما إذا عصاني النوم فكنت أحلم أيضا ، و لكن بأحلام اليقظة ، أي أحلام الوهم و الأماني بعيدة المنال ، و كانت كلها حول موضوع واحد لا يتغير ، أي حول ذلك الفارس الأسطوري الذي سيحملني فوق صهوة جواده المجنح لينتشلني من واقعي الرتيب ؛ ثم لا ألبث أن أعود إلى واقعي الكئيب حيث لا فارس و لا حصان ؛ فمن أين يأتي الفارس و نحن لا نعرف أكثر من حدود منزلنا ، على الرغم من أن منطقتنا تعج بألوف العرب ؟!
عندما كبر إخوتي و كلهم ذكور فتوجه كل منهم إلى عمل يشغله و توقف والدي عن العمل لتقدم السن ، قرر فجأة ، أنه سئم العيش هنا و أنه يشعر بضجر قاتل ، و أنه سوف يموت كمداً إن ظل متسمرا فوق مقعده أمام شاشة التلفاز ، ثم خطا خطوة تعسفية أخرى كعادته ، إذ عاد ذات يوم يحمل تذكرة سفره ، ليبلغنا – من باب العلم - أنه عائد للوطن في اليوم التالي ؛ نظرنا نحوه بذهول دون أن يتمكن أي منا من مناقشته ، فقد عودنا جميعا بلا استثناء على السلبية المطلقة ! ..

عندما تزوج إخوتي أحدهم بعد الآخر من زوجات غير عربيات ، و ابتدأ كل يتهرب من دعمنا ماليا ، اضطررت للعمل نادلة في أحد المطاعم ، و لم يمانع إخوتي و كذلك – و لدهشتي الشديدة – لم يعترض والدي عندما علم بالأمر .
و بينما كنت في خضم يأسي من تغيير حالتي كعانس بائسة ، إذا برسالة مقتضبة من الوالد – و كانت رسائله نادرة – تتدخل ثانية في مصيري دون الاستماع إلى رأيي ، بقرار جديد من قراراته التعسفية ، يخبرني فيه أن أحد أقاربه خطبني منه و أنه وافق و أعطى كلمته ، و ما عليَّ سوى التنفيذ ، كما عليَّ ايضا استكمال الإجراءات التي يتطلبها القانون الأمريكي !.

و جاء فارس الأحلام ، و لكنه جاء مهلهلا خالي الوفاض ، خالٍ من علم أو مهنة يتقنها أو مال ينفقه ، بل حتى تذكرة قدومه اشتريتها له بأمر الوالد !
و ظل ( صهر بيت مدلل ) ...
حتى أنني كنت يوم قبض الرواتب – و بناء على نصيحة والدتي - أضع راتبي على الطاولة ، ليتناول منه ما يشاء و يترك لي ما يشاء ..
و استمر الحال كذلك إلى أن وجد عملا في إحدى محطات الوقود ، فقلت جاء الفرج !
و لكن .........؟!
و لكن لات من فرج أو إنفراج !
فقد بدأ يحول راتبي جميعه إلى الوطن باسم شقيقه الكبير ، و بدأنا نعيش على راتبه الضئيل .
و كأنثى عربية رضختُ صاغرة ، فالذكر هو السيد المطلق و أنا الجارية الأبدية .
كانت حجته شراء أرض في بلدته بالوطن ، و من ثم بناءها لضمان مستقبل الطفلة التي أنجبناها لتونا ( ؟؟!!!).
و أقول الحق أنني اقتنعت لفترة بوجهة نظره ثم بدأت تراودني الشكوك ...
لماذا ليس باسمه أو باسمي ؟
لماذا باسم أخيه ؟
لماذا و لماذا و لماذا ؟...
و ذات يوم بحت لأمي بشكوكي ...
فخرجت هذه المرة عن سلبيتها..!
فجن جنونها ، ثم دفعتني لمطالبته بأن أكون على الأقل شريكته في المشروع !
و إذ جابهته بهذا الاقتراح ، اصفر وجهه و ارتعشت شفتاه و صاح في وجهي قائلا : " من فينا الرجل ؟ " أجبته بمنتهى اللطف : " الحق لا ينقص من رجولتك " فكانت رده هذه المرة صفعتين أشعلتا النار في خَديَّ الغضين ، ذكرتاني بصفعات الوالد و استبداده .
بكيت كثيراً....
و لكن ...
لم أستمر طويلا هذه المرة في النحيب......
فقد انبثقت - على حين غرة – شعلة تمرد من أعماق أعماقي تعلن : " أنني لن أكون جارية إلى الأبد و لن أسمح لابنتي أن تكون جارية ! "
و بدون أن أستشير أحداً طردته من المنزل .
حاول استخدام عضلاته ثانية ، فنفرت إلى الشارع حاملة ابنتي ، صائحة مهددة :
" إذا لم تخرج في الحال من بيتنا فسأصرخ بأعلى صوتي مستنجدة ، و سأطلب لك الشرطة ! "
ثم أكملت بأعلى صوتي :
" لن أكون جارية خنوعة بعد اليوم – هل فهمت ؟"
" لن أكون جارية .."
" لن أكون ..!! لن أكون ..!! "
--------------------------------------

2. A Maid’s Escape

Abwa ( and this is her real name ), as well as her parents and her eight brothers, got delighted
as she was notified by the employment’s office at her little town that she was offered a job;
for she was the one to relieve them from the pathetic poor conditions they had been living in.

“You have to get ready in three days , “ the office manager roared .All the family members
worked as a team, and each gave her a hand , one way or another, to pack her things up for
the journey. When the departure’s moments were due , hugs followed and tears went down.
Abwa was now on board of a plain that would take her to Arabian abodes.

Her employer, the mother and her two young children, Fawziya and Hamad , received her
warmly while the rest of the girls and boys, dressed up in different tastes and sizes, did not
bother. Abwa , unlike them, was very lively, energetic, smart, and pretty. In no time she was
able to learn some Arabic expressions for daily use. Above all , she could satisfy everyone
of them, so mutual affections seemed to work.

But…

One night, the eldest son, a teen in the family, crept into her bed … tied her mouth, seized
her fiercely with his strong arms, and raped her. She was hurt, and cried a great deal.
Whenever anyone asked about her tear-shed, her answer was utter silence.“ Perhaps she is
Longing for her parents”, said the housewife, “ Leave her all alone .”

On another night , Hamad crept into her bed again, tied her mouth, held her fiercely with his
two arms, and raped her .
It was now more painful !
She went into more tears, yet no one cared about her cries this time.
His terrible acts continued , and Abwa remained mouth shut, but pathetic, desperate, and
humiliated…

But …

After a hundred days or so, Abwa seemed to be pregnant. And the doctor to whom Umm
Hamad (Hamad’s mother) brought Abwa willy-nilly confirmed her case!
Thereafter , Abwa had been subjected to a series of inhuman queries which Umm Hamad
initiated and her daughter , Fawziya , added oil to fire…
And between one set of queries and another, Hamad stepped forward and whispered into
her ears threateningly: “One word, or even a hint you make, you shall…..so and so.’
“It must be somebody from the street, say a garbage collector or the neighbor’s driver,”
Umm Hamad said accusingly. And with no further comment, she made up her mind:
“This bitch must be aborted before the smell of the scandal comes out.”
Shortly after, Umm Hamad started a series of more vicious and brutal schemes to get
Abwa aborted.
Her inhuman deeds worked out!

As soon as Abwa recovered from the painful experience of abortion and torture, she made a decision. She happened to have asked Hamad’s father, her employer, to get her back where she came from, but he ridiculed her: “and the money we paid to the employment’s office? And the ticket fare? And the money we had sent to your family?” “Mind you!”, he added, “we would’ve handed you over to the police for the nasty thing you’ve done, but we didn’t because we were too sympathetic! And, yet, you don’t seem grateful, and deserve no sympathy whatsoever.”
“And look ye lass!” he concluded threateningly, “your passport is in my possession, and
your soul is in tight grip. So go to your kitchen right now before I lose my temper.”

In the afternoon of the next day, while Hamad’s father was at work, Umm Hamad and her
daughter, Fawziya, were having a nap, and the kids were at school, Abwa managed to make her way out of the house. She started walking along streets aimlessly, not knowing where to head to!

It was too hot and humid and, worse yet to come, was a sandy storm whirling in the horizon.
She was entirely exhausted…
She couldn’t feel her feet….
She was no better than a vagabond,
And was now about to collapse!
She felt dizzy; but when she glimpsed a police-station, she collected herself and headed to it.

But…

As soon as she started crossing the road, two cars suddenly appeared on the scene and
blockaded her. The cars stopped; Umm Hamad and her neighbor, Umm Suleiman , stepped
off the first car. Off the second, Fawziya and her two friends, Nura and Lulwa, emerged.
Traffic came into halt. Whistling horns roared in the sky, and necks stretched out from
vehicles of all sorts. As for the honorable heroines, they surrounded Abwa . She tried to rid
herself …
But Umm Hamad got hold of her long hair and started pulling her maliciously into her car
while the others were smacking and kicking her alternatively…
A number of curious passers-by gathered around…
Some burst into laughter as they found the show funny …
The officer-in-charge at the police station noticed the disturbance on the road, but stood by
the window watching for next..
As he saw Umm Hamad, collecting her fallen gown in one hand, and pulling poor Abwa’s
hair in another , he started laughing at that funny show!

2-

فرحت آبوا ( و هذا هو اسمها ) و ابتهج والداها و إخوتها الثمانية ، عندما استدعاها مكتب التخديم في مدينتها الصغيرة ، ذلك أن آبوا سوف تنتشلهم جميعا من مستنقع الفقر الذي يعيشون .
<< عليك أن تستعدي خلال ثلاثة أيام >> أمرها بذلك مدير المكتب ؛ جميع أفراد الأسرة – من ثم - جندوا أنفسهم لإتمام استعداداتها ، ثم جاءت لحظة الوداع ، عناق و دموع ، ثم إلى الطائرة ، ثم إلى مضارب بني يعرب .
استقبلها مخدومها بترحاب و كذلك ربة البيت و ولديها الفتيين فوزية و حمد، أما بقية الأبناء و البنات – و هم من جميع المقاسات - فلم يكترثوا .
آبوا ، كانت بدورها فتية و شعلة من النشاط و الذكاء مع مسحة من الجمال ، و قد تمكنت بسرعة من تعلم بعض الجُمل العربية لإحتياجاتها اليومية ، و كذلك استطاعت إرضاء الجميع فأحبوها و أحبتهم .
و لكن ...
ذات ليلة ، تسلل إلى فراشها بكر الأسرة المراهق ..
كمَّ فمها ، حاصرها بذراعيه القويتين ، ثم مارس فعلته الشنعاء !
تألمت كثيرا ،
بكت كثيرا ،
و لكنها أجابت بالصمت المطبق كل من حاول سؤالها عن سبب بكائها ،
<< لعلها حنَّت لأهلها ؟! >> قالت ربة البيت ، فكفوا عن سؤالها ..
و ذات ليلة أخرى ، تسلل حمد – ثانية – إلى فراشها ،
كمَّ فمها ، حاصرها بذراعيه القويتين ، ثم مارس فعلته الشنعاء !
تألمت أكثر ،
بكت أكثر ،
و لكن أحدا لم يأبه لبكائها هذه المرة ..
ثم تتابعت ممارساته و استمرت آبوا صامتة ، و لكن حزينة ، تعيسة ، و كسيرة الخاطر ...
و لكن ...
بعد مائة يوم أو تزيد ظهرت عليها أعراض الحمل ..
أكد ذلك الطبيب الذي جرتها إليه أم حمد !
ثم خضعت آبوا إلى تحقيق وحشي ، ابتدأته أم حمد و شاركتها به ابنتها فوزية ....
و بين كل وجبة تحقيق و أخرى ، كان حَمَد يتقدم من أذنها مهددا بالويل و الثبور و عظائم الأمور ، إن هي زل لسانها بتصريح أو تلميح .
<< لا بد أنه أحدٌ من الشارع ، قد يكون القمّام و قد يكون سائق الجيران >> قالت ذلك أم حمد ثم قررت أمرا : << هذه العاهرة ، يجب أن نجهضها قبل أن تفوح رائحة الفضيحة >>
و ابتدأت أم حمد - من بعد – سلسلة من الإجراءات الأكثر وحشية ، سعيا وراء إجهاض آبوا ، و تم لها ذلك !...
ما أن أبلَّت آبوا من آثار الإجهاض و التعذيب ، حتى قررت أمرا .
كانت قد طلبت من ( أبو حمد ) أن يعيدها من حيث أتت ، فسخر منها قائلا : << و النقود التي دفعناها لمكتب التخديم ؟ و المال الذي بذلناه لتذكرة سفرك ؟ و الرواتب التي أرسلناها لأهلك ؟! >> ثم أضاف مذكرا << كان علينا أن نسلمك للشرطة بعد فعلتك الشنعاء و لكننا لم نفعل إشفاقا عليك ! و لكن يبدو أنك عديمة الوفاء و لا تستحقين الشفقة !! >> ثم أضاف منذرا << إسمعي يا بنت ، جوازك في عهدتي و روحك في يدي ، عودي إلى مطبخك في الحال قبل أن يشتعل غضبي ! >>
و في ظهيرة اليوم التالي و بينما كان أبو حمد في عمله ، و أم حمد و ابنتها فوزية تنالان قيلولتهما ، و الصغار في مدارسهم ، تسللت آبوا من الدار ، تتقاذفها الشوارع على غير هدى !
كان الجو قائظا ، و بداية عاصفة رملية أخذت تلوح في الأفق...
تعبت ...
كلت قدماها ...
أُرهقها التجوال بلا طائل ..
بدأت قواها تخور ..
و بدأت تشعر بالدوار،عندما لمحت مبنى مخفر الشرطة ،
فتماسكت و اتجهت نحوه في الحال ،
و لكن ..
ما أن إبتدأت باجتياز الشارع ، حتى حاصرتها سيارتان ..
توقفتا ..
نزلت من الأولى أم حمد و جارتها أم سليمان ،
و نزلت من الأخرى فوزية و صديقتيها نورا و لولوة ؛
توقفت حركة المرور ..
بدأت أبواق السيارات تعوي ، و إشرأبت الأعناق من نوافذها ..
أما النسوة الأشاوس فقد حاصرن آبوا ..
حاولت الإفلات ....
أمسكتها أم حمد من شعرها الطويل ثم جرتها قسرا إلى سيارتها ..بينما كانت الأخريات يتناوبن على صفعها و ركلها ..
تجمهر بعض المتطفلين ...
ضحك بعضهم لطرافة المشهد ....
انتبه رئيس المخفر لصخب الشارع ، فوقف بجوار النافذة يستطلع ...
ما أن شاهد أم حمد و قد إنحسرت عباءتها فحملتها بيد بينما جرت المسكينة من شعرها بيدها الأخرى ، حتى ضحك بدوره لطرافة المشهد !

__________________________________________________ ___________

3. Purchasing a Maid

She managed to make a little hole in the wooden window that had been locked tightly.
She was able to see through few motor cars passing over the dusty road.
She used to call out whenever one passed by the window…
No one could hear her voice;
For most motor cars that are fully air-conditioned have their screens closed.
Most vehicles infuriated the tiny particles which flew in the air infected her nostrils and let her tears off and down.
Her health worsened.
Her pains became more severe.
She screamed.
She cried out for help.
But there was no one to offer help.
She cried bitterly.
She felt lost.
She got panic whenever she felt she’d die any minute if no one saved her.
She remembered her mother.
She remembered her father.
She remembered her eight brothers.
She again burst into tears.
She again screamed:
“Mom! I’m here. Help!”
She once again cried out for help:
“Dad! It’s me. Your daughter, Aayat!!!”

But…

No news of them since she bade them ‘good-bye’.
No messages to her parents was she allowed to send.
At a remote village was she made to dwell.
And in a deserted house, they called ‘The Farm’, was she made to stay.
Five young chaps, and no sixth, did she know there.
In rotation, each one of them had his own shift into her bed.
But one, she guessed, was her fiancé.

Her fiancé???!
It was through the good-will mediator, Umm Hasanain, that he got acquainted with her.
He was so generous that she and her family never hesitated to receive lots of money and invaluable presents from him.
Not only money and presents did make them blind and rob them off their discretion, but also his magic smile, openhandedness and, above all, his exquisite Arabian dress which fascinated them.
The wedding party he honored her with was incomparable and, indeed, the first of its kind in the history of her neighborhood.
Then, heading to the airport.
And, then, to hell!!!

At first, I protested.
“I’ve been married to Hamdan,” said she in a grumbling voice. “But now I sleep with Faisal, Hmoud, Battie, and Salman, in addition to Hamdan. I’ve never heard a woman who is married to five men..”, she continued madly.
A smack kept her tongue tied. And a kick immediately followed.
After receiving several rounds of slaps and kicks, she surrendered obediently.
She had been thinking of running away… but whereto??

Someone happened to pass by on foot.
It was the first footer since the morning.
She shouted:
“Uncle!…Hey, uncle! Please help! I’m about to deliver.”
It seemed that this fellow, a typical villager, who listened attentively to her brief story, was chivalrous enough to offer his offices.

Uncle Radhwan, in no time, could make it.
It was his country’s embassy.
They prevented him from getting in.
But he tried to willy-nilly.
The councilor heard his shouts.
He listened to him carefully.
Being chivalrous, likewise, he at once contacted the Ministry of Interior.
And calling for an ambulance was out of question.
Uncle Radhwan led the emergency team to the isolated house.
They broke in.
They found her swamped in her blood and incredibly fatigued, but her baby was clung to her breast sucking while his pit was still stuck.

3-

تتمكن من إحداث ثغرة في النافذة الخشبية المغلقة بإحكام
تنادي ، كلما مرت إحداها قرب النافذة...
تنادي ، كلما مرت إحداها قرب النافذة...
لا يسمعها أحد
أغلب العربات مكيفة الهواء مغلقة النوافذ
أغلب العربات تثير الرمال الناعمة ، لتنال منها ما يزكم أنفها و يدمع عينيها
حالتها تسوء
آلامها تتفاقم
تصرخ
تستغيث
و لكن ليس من مغيث
تبكي بحرقة
تشعر بالضياع
يصيبها الهلع كلما تصورت أنها ستفقد حياتها إن لم ينجدها أحد
تتذكر أمها
تتذكر أباها
تتذكر إخوتها الثمانية
تبكي مجددا
تصرخ مجددا
يامّه ( إلحقيني )!!!
تستغيث
يابا ( إلحق ) أثيرتك آيات !!!
و لكن ..
انقطعت أخبارهما منذ ودعتهما
منعوها من مراسلة أهلها
أسكنوها في قرية نائية
و في منزل منعزل أطلقوا عليه اسم ( المزرعة )
خمسة وجوه شابة لا تعرف غيرهم
يتناوبون على فراشها
أحدهم من ظنته عريسها

عريسها ؟؟؟!
تعرف عليها عن طريق الخاطبة ( أم حسنين )
أغدق عليها و على أهلها المال و الهدايا النفيسة
أعمى أبصارهم و بصائرهم
أخرستهم ابتسامته الساحرة و يده المبسوطة
سحرتهم ملابسه العربية الأنيقة
أقام لها حفل زفاف لم يشهد حيها مثيلاً له من قبل

ثم إلى المطار
ثم إلى الجحيم

اعترضت بادئ الأمر
- " أنا تزوجت حمدان
و لكنني أرى فيصل و حمود و بطي و سلمان إضافة لحمدان
لم أسمع من قبل أن امرأة تزوجت خمس رجال .."
قالت متذمرة و محتجة ، فأخرسها بصفعة .. تبعها بركلة
و بعد عدة جولات من الصفع و الركل
رضخت صاغرة
فكرت بالهرب .. و لكن إلى أين ؟؟
يمر أحدهم على قدميه
أول راجل منذ الصباح
تصيح :
- يا ياعم .. يا عم
أرجوك يا عم أغثني ، إني على وشك الولادة
يتبين أن العم ( بلديات )
تختزل له قصتها
فتدب فيه النخوة

يهرع العم رضوان
إلى سفارة بلده
يمنعونه من الدخول
يحاول اقتحام السفارة غصبا
يسمع القنصل صياحه
يصغي لقصته
تدب فيه الحمية
يتصل بوزارة الداخلية
يتصل بالإسعاف
يقودهم العم رضوان إلى المنزل المعزول
يقتحمون المنزل
يجدونها غارقة في دمها ، و في حالة من الإعياء الشديد ، و على حجرها وليدها يرضع ، و حبل الحياة لا زال عالقا في سرَّته .

4. A School Sentry

Abu Jassim, in his forties, works as a sentry with four others for a primary school at one Arabian Gulf villages. They all meet during daytime, and rotate shifts during night-watch.

It was a routine effortless, but non-investing, job that it, on one hand, paid them off and cost them nothing more than sitting all day long chatting and having tea, on the other hand.

One day, Abu Jassim left his home in a pathetic condition: his head, face, and hands were all covered with bruises, scratches, and wounds. His workmates were so curious that they machine-gunned him with questions…
“A fight with my wife,” answered he nodding abashedly.
They all burst into laughter…
His workmates missed him; they had not been seeing much of him for days…
But he continued keeping his secret, and refused to engage in personal affairs.

His story began several months long before that fight.
When his mother-in-law died, his wife inherited a fortune. It was even difficult for the members of the extended family to make any estimates…
As soon as grieving period was over…
His wife had this generous offer to make:
“There’s an enormous amount of money, Abu Jassoum. I don’t know what to do with it, nor have I the ability to run it. Our children are still young and cannot bear responsibilities. So there you are, dear! I’ll commission you to invest the money the way you like, such as running a commercial business or being an estate agent. You’re absolutely free to opt for any profession that you find suitable. At least you won’t have to stay overnight at school every other three days and get back home exhausted..”
He thanked her for trusting him, and promised that her property would be in good hands.

His first project was buy a house, almost a villa…
He furnished it luxuriously.
He beautified it with most updated decorations.
He supplied it with the best home tools, electric and electronic appliances…
Then he married a girl of the same age as his eldest daughter…
And placed her in it!!!
__________________________________________________ ________________________
4-

أبو جاسم في الأربعينيات من عمره ، يعمل حارسا لمدرسة ابتدائية في إحدى قرى أمارة خليجية ،
مع أربعة حراس آخرين ، يجتمعون معا أثناء النهار ، و يتناوبون الحراسة أثناء الليل .
وظيفة روتينية ( تنفيعية ) تحقق لهم موردا ماليا و لا تكلفهم أكثر من الجلوس طوال اليوم يتسامرون و يحتسون الشاي .
و ذات يوم عاد أبو جاسم من بيته و قد ملأت رأسه و وجهه و يديه ، الخدوش و الجروح و الكدمات...
استبد الفضول بزملائه فأمطروه بأسئلتهم ....
- تشاجرتُ مع أم العيال !
أجابهم و قد أطرق برأسه ،
فانفجروا ضاحكين ...
ثم ظل أبو جاسم محل تندرهم لعدة أيام أخرى ....
و لكنه استمر متكتما يرفض الخوض في الموضوع ...

بدأت القصة قبل ذلك بعدة شهور .
توفيت والدة الزوجة و خلفت لإبنتها .إرثا .صعب على أفراد الأسرة إحصاؤه ..
.فما أن هدأت فترة الأحزان ...

حتى تقدمت من أبي العيال مقترحةً :
- المال وفير يا أبو جسوم ، و أنا لا أدري ماذا أفعل به و لا قدرة لي على إدارته ، و أبناؤك لا زالوا صغارا على تحمل أية مسؤوليات ؛ إذاً سأمنحك وكالة ( يا بعد كبدي ) لتتصرف بالمال كما تشاء ، كأن تفتح م اريا ، أو عقاريا ، لك مطلق الحرية باختيار الطريق الذي يناسبك ، فعلى الأقل لن تضطر بعد الآن للسهر في المدرسة كل ثالث يوم ، فتعود إلى بيتك منهكا ..
شكرها على ثقتها هذه مؤكدا لها أن مالها سيكون في يدٍ أمينة .

كان أول مشروع له ، شراء بيت أقرب إلى قصر ..
أثثه تأثيثا فاخرا ...

و جمَّله بأحدث الديكورات ...
و جهزه بأفضل الأدوات المنزلية و الكهربائية و الألكترونية ...
ثم تزوج من فتاة شابة بعمر أكبر بناته..
فأسكنها فيه !!!
كتبا تجاريا ، أو عقاريا ، لك مطلق الحرية باختيار الطريق الذي يناسبك ، فعلى الأقل لن تضطر بعد الآن للسهر في المدرسة كل ثالث يوم ، فتعود إلى بيتك منهكا ..
شكرها على ثقتها هذه مؤكدا لها أن مالها سيكون في يدٍ أمينة .

كان أول مشروع له ، شراء بيت أقرب إلى قصر ..
أثثه تأثيثا فاخرا ...
و جمَّله بأحدث الديكورات ...
و جهزه بأفضل الأدوات المنزلية و الكهربائية و الألكترونية ...
ثم تزوج من فتاة شابة بعمر أكبر بناته..
فأسكنها فيه !!!

5. My Life Has Turned into Hell

Until only a month ago, I’ve been a happy wife. My husband runs his own business successfully. He’s faithful, and loves his family very much. We have two children: a nine-year old daughter and a seven-year old boy. Both are top at school, and neither has had any problem.

One day, my daughter came back home accompanied by a boy of the same age. She innocently introduced him to me, but the way Americans do, “This is my boyfriend, mom.” I smiled; for the scene, very nice of kids at their age, exalted me.

At night, I reported to my husband believing that he would be as happy as I had been on seeing the new friends. Instead of the expected joy, I was taken by surprise: he at once became furious and called on our daughter. He further surprised me when he lifted his hand, smacked her, and started shouting: “Is it true what I’ve just heard, that you have a male friend? We are Arabs! Friendship goes like this: a girl befriends a girl, and a boy a boy. If I ever know that you mated a boy, I’ll slaughter you like a lamb!”

The bewilderment had my tongue tied. But, first, I had to cool the girl down; she was panic and continued crying hysterically. To be honest, this was the first time I had come to realize an unfolded aspect in my husband’s personality.

When we were back to our bedroom, I strongly and angrily blamed him for what he had done. Incredibly, his biggest surprise for the night was his determination to clear off his business here and make his way back to our homeland, obviously a one-sided decision.

I didn’t find in my daughter’s behavior any misconduct save absolute innocence. As for the expression she uttered, which is meaningless at her age, one could’ve explained it to her gradually without tension and nervousness in such a way that a friendship of this sort is meant to run counter to Arabian customs and traditions.

But what perplexed me more was my husband’s arbitrary decision which, if materialized, he’d be losing an opportunity for living that he might not find in his homeland. This should also mean that a restart from zero could affect him, me, and the children negatively.

The children will have to experience a new schooling atmosphere; for curricula in our home country are complicated, and methods of testing have not changed since the Ottomans rule. This in addition to our having had a stable and independent social life which is likely to be threatened.

To tell you the truth, dear friend, my life has turned into unbearable hell since that moment. No day passes by without nagging and/or arguing about the same subject, the conclusion of which is that my husband’s resolution has a dictatorship underneath, a dictatorship that was in slumber in his character, a quality that I’ve never come across since marriage.

What can I do, dear friend? Can you help, and suggest something that might take me out of this non-thirst quenching hell?!!

5-

كنت حتى قبل شهر واحد مضى زوجة سعيدة فلدى زوجي عمله الخاص الناجح ، و هو مخلص و محب لأسرته ، و لديّ منه طفلان أولهما ابنة في التاسعة و الآخر ابن في السابعة ، و كملاهما متقدم في دراسته ، و لم يعان أي منهما من أية مشاكل من أي نوع .
و ذات يوم عادت ابنتي و برفقتها طفل يماثلها عمرا ، و بكل براءة عرفتني عليه قائلة أنه صديق و لكن بالتعبير الأمريكي ( BOYFRIEND)
فضحكت ملء شدقي فقد كان الموقف في غاية الطرافة بالنسبة لطفلين ، و في المساء أردت أن أن أضحك زوجي كما ضحكت إلا أنه بدلا من ذلك استشاط غضبا فنادي الطفلة ثم لمفاجأتي الشديدة صفعها و هو يصرخ في وجهها قائلا : " أحقا ما سمعته من أن لك صديقا ذكرا ؟ نحن عرب لا نقبل الا بصداقة البنت للبنت و الصبي للصبي ، و اذا علمت ثانية أنك صادقت ذكرا ذبحتك ذبح النعاج . لقد عقدت المفاجأة لساني و انصرفت بداية الى تهدئة الطفلة التي أصابتها نوبة مرضية من الخوف و البكاء الهستيري ؛ و أقول الحق أنني لتوي عرفت جانبا كنت أجهله من شخصية زوجي ، و عندما ولجنا الى غرفة النوم أثرت الموضوع عاتبة و غاضبة الا أنه ألقى في وجهي مفاجأته الثانية فقد قرر - من جانب واحد – تصفية أعماله هنا و العودة الى الوطن .
لم أجد في سلوك ابنتي الا البراءة ، أما التعبير الذي فاهت به فلا معنى له في عمر ابنتي ، و كان من الممكن إفهامها بالتدريج و بدون عصبية و تشجنج أن هذا الأمر لا يتناسب مع ثقافتنا و أعرافنا ؛ و لكن ما أقلقني أكثر قرار زوجي التعسفي ، الذي اذا نفذه يفقد فرصة جيدة للإرتزاق قد لا تعوض في الوطن الأم و هذا يعني أيضا البداية من الصفر مجددا مما سوف يكون شاقا عليه و عليَّ و على أطفالنا .
فالأطفال سوف يختلف عليهم الجو الدراسي فمناهجنا في بلادنا معقدة و أساليب الامتحانات لا زالت على حالها منذ أيام العثمانيين، هذا اضافة الى اعتيادنا على حياة اجتماعية مستقلة بعيدة عن مداخلات الآخرين ، أقول لك الحق – يا عزيزتي - لقد أصبحت حياتي منذ تلك اللحظة جحيما لا يطاق ، فلا يمر يوم بلا جدال أو شجار حول الموضوع ، أجد دوما في آخرهما اصرارا متضمنا دكتتورية استيقظت من ثباتها في شخصية زوجي لم أعهدها من قبل .
ماذا بامكاني أفعل – يا صديقتي - ؟ هل يمكنك نجدتي برأي يخرجني من هذا الجحيم ؟

__________________________________________________ ___

6. A Prince’s Whim

She was crying bitterly while talking to Umm Na’il with an interrupted, humiliating, and melancholic voice:
“I did nothing that could’ve hurt him…
I loved him so deeply…
And so did he openly…
The days I’ve spent with him, including yesterday, were honey-like…
Yesterday, in particular, he called me ‘sweetie’.
So how do you want me to believe you, Umm Na’il?
You must be kidding, Umm Na’il?!”

The story started almost a month ago…
Umm Na’il entered their life suddenly…
The husband, a father, had just passed away…
The wife, and her daughter, were still mourning over the deceased father when Umm Na’il, one day, knocked on their door, and all of a sudden transformed their sorrows into joys…
“The Prince heard about your daughter’s beauty,” said she quietly and professionally!
The surprise astounded them.
“The Prince proposes the hand of my daughter? Who? Mine?!!!” asked she breathlessly. Then she went on while at uttermost excitement:
“Who are we as to have the Prince our son-in-law? I’m afraid you’ve knocked on the wrong door, mam!”
But Umm Na’il confirmed that it was a real thing, not a dream or fantasy…
Umm Na’il readily started to arrange for the wedding, even before she received their consent…
The mother, as if hypnotized, immediately got involved in the preparations!
The girl’s heart began to throb joyfully! For she had always maintained a passionate love for Sindrella’s fairy story…
And now, herself a real Sindrella, free from conspiracies, crooked schemes, and witches, she was too willing to go for it!

At a remote suburb, and in a villa surrounded by security men, a high-ranking officer received them with a bow to show high respect after he had recognized their identities. They were three: the bride, her mother, and Umm Na’il.
They made their way in…
The bride and her mother were dazzled upon seeing the furniture and decorations…
A cook and two maids, of obvious oriental complexion, welcomed them.
After a few minutes, a smart Mulla (a religious sheikh) came in. And after a few other minutes two men, holding the end of their gold-embroidered gowns, greeted the dignified Sheikh by mutually caressing noses.

They felt there was unusual footwork outside the villa…
No less unusual were the movements indoors…
All stood up ceremonially to bid him a majestic salute!
It was the Prince himself!!!!

The Mulla called upon the bride’s mother:
“Are you the bride’s proxy?”
And without waiting for her reply, he continued”
“Under special circumstances, a mother can act in pr for her daughter. Repeat after me, (woman)…
The she started parroting what the Mulla had just uttered…
His two apprentices, in gowns, signed the marriage contract as witnesses mechanically.
“Congratulations! Congratulations!” said the Mulla , and was in no time off the scene.
The two witnesses followed suit.
Umm Na’il left, too, but dragging the bride’s mother out.

After the girl had stopped wailing, Umm Na’il continued:
“Don’t be sad my girl; for our Prince won’t deny you any rights. He’s just, and has a passionate love for justice.”
Umm Na’il went on as if she was reciting from a book whose chapters she had learnt by heart:
“First, and foremost, you have to observe the iddat [40 days after marriage]. If you get pregnant during this period, your baby will be given a life-long allowance , just like all other Prince’s family members. If otherwise, you’ll have the right to stay in the villa for all the iddat period. The Prince will then grant you a sufficient amount of money to enable you to live decently for the rest of your life. And, listen carefully to this: If you deliver him a baby, you are denied any rights to marry again. If not, you are free to get married, but only after two years…”
Still sobbing, with her crystal tears coming down, the girl pathetically said:
“But I did nothing that could’ve perplexed him.”
“I loved him so dearly.”
“He never concealed his love.”
“Even yesterday he called me ‘sweetie’!”
“I’ve never thought about his money.”
“I’ve never thought about anything, but love and how to satisfy him!!!”
“So how come that he’s no more caring?…”
“Dear girl! You have not sufficiently appreciated what’s going on around yet!” said Umm Na’il very politely She continued while patting on her shoulder to soothe her;
“Such are but the very requirements of sustaining prince-hood, darling. A great deal of responsibilities that the prince has to bear make him in need of joy and entertainment continually. And this is why he gets married newly every week.”
“Just imagine those he meets daily,” Umm Na’il went on, “They are the well-off, the town’s eminent figures, and the tribes’ head sheikhs who all profoundly realize and appreciate his needs and are thus too willing to offer their daughters and have the honor of marrying them to the Prince!”
“It is in the nature of princes everywhere and at all times to act as such.”
“Haven’t you heard of Haroun Al’Rashid, and other caliphs whose palaces were full of harems and maids?”
“Haven’t you read ‘One Thousand and One Nights’?
“The princes’ bodies, my girl, need renewed love that only virgins can offer.”

__________________________________________________ ___________________

6 –

كانت تبكي بحرقة بينما كانت تخاطب ( أم نائل ) بصوتٍ متقطعٍ كسيرٍ حزين :
- لم أفعل ما يسيئه ...
لقد أحببته بكل جوارحي ....
و لم يكتم عني حبه ....
أيامي معه – حتى الأمس – كانت كلها عسل ...
أمس بالذات : كان يناديني ( يا حلوتي )
فكيف تريدنني أن أصدقك يا أم نائل ؟
لعلك تمازحينني يا أم نائل ؟!

بدأت القصة قبل شهر تقريبا ..
دخلت أم نائل حياتهما فجأة ...
كانتا قد ودعتا الأب و الزوج الراحل ..
و استمترا تجتران أحزانهما إلى أن قرعت أم نائل الباب ، فحولت أحزانهما إلى أفراح..
" سمع الأمير بجمال ابنتك " قالت للوالدة بهدوء المتمرس !
و لكن المفاجأة صعقتهما .
- "الأمير يطلب يد ابنتي ، أنا ؟!!! "
سألتها مشدوهة ، ثم أضافت و هي في أقصى حالات الإنفعال :
" و من نحن حتى يناسبنا الأمير ؟ "
" أخشى أنك قرعت الباب الخطأ يا سيدة ! "
و لكن أم نائل تؤكد لهما ، أن الأمر حقيقة و ليس وهما و لا حلماً..
و تبدأ على الفور في بحث ترتيبات الزواج ، قبل أن تتلقى إجابتهما ...
و تنجرُّ الأم في حديث الترتيبات و كأنها مُنَوَّمة !
و يرقص قلب الفتاة فرحا !
فلطالما فتنتها قصة ساندريلا ..
و هاهي تصبح ساندريلا حقيقية ، بلا مؤامرات أو دسائس أو ساحرات !

و في ضاحية بعيدة
و في دارة* أحاط بها رجال الأمن ...
يستقبلهن ضابط كبير ، و ينحني لهن احتراما ، عندما يتأكد من هويتهن ...
كن ثلاثا ، العروس و أمها و السيدة أم نائل !
يدخلن الدارة ..
يبهرهما - العروس و أمها - زخارفها و أثاثها ...
يستقبلهما طباخ و خادمتان شرقيو الملامح ...
يدخل بعد دقائق مُلاّ ( رجل دين ) مهيب الطلعة ..
يتبعه بعد دقائق أخرى ، رجلان يحملان طرفي عباءتيهما المطرزتين بخيوط الذهب ..
يحييان الشيخ الوقور بحك الأنوف .

تشعران بحركة غير عادية خارج الدارة..
ثم حركة غير عادية داخلها ..
ثم يقف الجميع إجلالاَ !
إنه الأمير !!!!
ينادي المُلا * والدة العروس :
- أنت وكيلة العروس ؟
و دون إنتظار إجابتها استمر يقول :
- في بعض الظروف يمكن للوالدة أن تكون وكيلة ابنتها ، رددي معي ( يا حرمة ) .....
ثم أخذت تردد ما يقوله المُلا كالببغاء ..
و قام الآخران بالتوقيع كشاهدين و كأنهما رجلان آليّان ..
" مبروك .. مبروك .. "
ثم انصرف المُلا ...
و انصرف الشاهدان ...
ثم انصرفت أم نائل و هي تجرُّ أم العروس ، جرّاً .

أضافت أم نائل بعد أن هدأ نحيب الفتاة ...
" لا تحزني يا بنية ، فأميرنا لن يغبنك حقوقك ، إنه أمير عادل و من عشاق العدالة المطلقة "..
ثم أكملت و كأنها تسرد من كتاب حفظت فصوله جيدا :
" قبل كل شيء عليك أن تلتزمي بالعدة "
" إن تبين أثناءها أنك حامل ، فستكون لطفلك نفقة حتى آخر العمر ، كأي من أفراد العائلة الأميرية "
" و إن لم يتبين ذلك ، فلك الحق بالبقاء في هذه الدارة مدة العدة كلها (!) "
" ثم سيمنحك الأمير مبلغا من المال يكفيك للعيش الكريم مدى الحياة ."
"و انتبهي جيدا للتالي : إذا أنجبت له ، لا يحق لك الزواج ثانية على الإطلاق ؛ أما إذا لم تنجبي فلك الحق بالزواج و لكن بعد سنتين .."
و لكن الفتاة أجابتها و هي تشرق بدموعها :
- " و لكنني لم أفعل ما يكدره "
" لقد أحببته بكل جوارحي "
" و لم يكتم عني حبه "
" و حتى الأمس كان يناديني ( يا حلوتي ) "
" لم أفكر قط بالمال "
" لم افكر إلا بحبه و كيف أرضيه !!! "
" فكيف أهون عليه ؟ .. "
- يا بنية ، أنتِ لم تستوعبي الأمر بعد !
أجابتها أم نائل بلطف متناهٍ ؛ ثم أكملت و هي تربت على كتفها مهدئة :
- " تلك هي مستلزمات الإمارة يا بنية "
" المسؤوليات الهائلة الملقاة على كاهل الأمير تجعله بحاجة دائمة للترفيه "
" فكل أسبوع له زواج جديد "
" و كل يوم يتلقى من وجهاء البلد و شيوخ العشائر – الذين يدركون جيدا إحتياجاته – يتلقى منهم عرائض يرجونه فيها أن يشرفهم بقبول بناتهم زوجات له ! "
" إنها طبيعة الأمراء في كل زمان و مكان "
" ألم تسمعي بحريم و جواري هارون الرشيد و غيره من الخلفاء ؟ "
" ألم تقرئي روايات ألف ليلة و ليلة قط ؟ "
" أجساد الأمراء - يا بنيّة - بحاجة لحب متجدد تقدمه العذارى "

* المُلاّ : رجل دين
*الدارة : الفيلا

7. We Subject Her to Examination First!

It was early morning, just before sunrise, and before she could barely open her eyes, that Haifa jumped the stairs up to the roof of the house. Having felt the dryness of the clothes hanging onto ropes, she began to take them off piece by piece. She hurriedly went down, jumping in almost the same manner she had gone up. She was now panting, but filled with happiness:
"They're all dry, mom. They're all dry…"
Her ecstasy was indescribable while she was watching her crafty mother iron the clothes piece by piece with an old-fashioned , coal-functioning iron. The ironed clothes , nevertheless, looked new and colorful…

It was only yesterday that she discovered she had brothers and sisters. She knew nothing about them.
She asked herself if they would welcome her or whether they would love her!
Her father assured her that they would.
But her mother did not seem optimistic…
She, in fact, was worried…
Haifa continued musing…
She imagined they would take her into their arms, hug her , and give her warm and endless number of kisses.
She smiled!
Then her eyes fixed onto the slow-moving hands of the clock hanging on the wall.

“I don't know why this situation makes me feel sad…
I am to be a bachelor once again…
My children are not kind-hearted…
I'm completely in the dark as to know how they have developed rudeness in such a manner!!
Their late mother has been so patient and delicate...
I’ve never been harsh on any of them!
My daughters refuse to find me a suitable wife…
They reject the whole idea of getting me remarried in principal…
They wouldn't allow any woman to replace their deceased mother.
And that’s their excuse…
Perhaps they've not heard the proverb: ‘Better be a bachelor for ages, but never a widow for a month’."

And when I got married to one of the workers at the factory, they went crazy at me:
" You marry one of your workers, dad? How come that you turn our social status upside down, dad?!"
"But you refused to look a suitable wife for me, dear children, especially you, daughters!"
My son, Sami, had never been willing to approve of the new situation!
But my daughters had to face it, afterwards, provided that they wouldn't keep any contact with her…

Umm Haifa [my wife] used to blame me for having been irresponsive on the day of the incident.
Could I have been otherwise?
“He's my son and main supporter in running the factory. So what has Umm Haifa expected me to do?" he asked himself. He continued:
“Did she want me to smack him, for example, or did she want me to humiliate him before the workers? He's taller than me! Couldn’t she see?”

At the very moment he saw her in my office ( May God forgive him!), he pushed her away onto the floor.
I was startled at what I saw but meanwhile perplexed…
There had been no room for reasoning…
And my hand got paralyzed …
She could call me “a coward" or "son of a bitch" because I didn't defend her!
But I also could at least blame my son for what he had done; being, after all, my son and indispensable co-manager…
She wanted a divorce. I did not object; she had it.
But what felony had Haifa been involved in to be left as an orphan? She was only thirteen…
It was high time for her she knew the rest of the family members…
And lived with her father who would look after her needs in the open.
Sami was totally opposed to the whole idea of bringing her home; he was as heartless as a stone…
As for my daughters, they had no word to say about it…
Isn't silence golden?

All he way long to the house, Abu Sami [Sami’s father] was describing the family's mansion: its spacious yard, the ever-green leafy citrus tree standing alongside a lake with its running and sparkling water in the middle, and its two floors containing a good deal of spacious rooms, some of which overlooking the river.

“Perhaps your nostrils will get irritated at the very start once you take in the bad smell. But you'll soon get used to it, Haifa,” said he smiling. Then he added: "They'll love you and, surely, you'll love them all. Your brother, Sami, might give you a rather cool welcome, but he's after all kind-hearted and apt to change his attitude in due course. As for your sisters, they'll warmly hug you and exceptionally take care of you."

The door, as usual, was knocked on twice to let those staying indoors that he was coming in.
He opened it, walked across hand-in-hand with Haifa, and made her move few steps forwards. He introduced her to them .
With their eyebrows raised, they started examining her with insinuating looks.
The eldest daughter made her remark sternly:
"Dad…! Before Haifa takes her veil off, and before any 'hi!' is or encounter to take place, I'll dress up in a minute and take her right away to the midwife, Umm Lutfi, with whom I have made an agreement!"
"What has the midwife, Umm Lutfi, to do with Haifa, Safiyyah?" asked her father in bewilderment.
"Umm Lutfi has to examine her," she replied. “For how can we tell how well her working-mother has raised her ?"

The argument became very heated, and mounted into a quarrel, during which Haifa was standing by the door weeping silently…
She abruptly stopped crying , began to dry her tears off and, with an outburst, she requested loudly: "Dad…! Take me back to mom, right now! Or, else, I'm going all alone…"

7 –

منذ الصباح الباكر و قبل سطوع الشمس ، و قبل أن تفتح عينيها ، صعدت هيفاء إلى السطح قفزا، ثم أخذت تجس ملابسها المنشورة ، ثم بدأت تنتزعها عن الحبل قطعة بعد قطعة . ثم هبطت كما صعدت قفزا ، و هي تقول لأمها فرحة لاهثة :
- لقد جفت كلها يا أمي .. جفت جميعا ..
كانت فرحتها لا توصف و هي تراقب أمها تكويها قطعة بعد قطعة بمكواة قديمة تعمل بالفحم ، فتخرج من بين يديها جديدة زاهية ..
بالأمس فقط اكتشفت أن لها إخوة و أخوات ، لم تكن تعرف عنهم شيئا ..
ترى هل سيرحبون بها ؟
هل سيحبونها ؟
والدها أكد لها ذلك ..
أما أمها فلم تبدُ سعيدة ...
و لم تكن مطمئنة ..
و استمرت هيفاء في حديث الذات ....
تخيلت نفسها بين أذرعهم ، يعانقونها و يمطرونها بالقبل .
فابتسمت !..
ثم تسمرت عيناها فوق عقارب ساعة الحائط المتباطئة

لا أدري لِمَ يحزنني هذا الوضع ؟
ها أن أضطر إلى العودة أعزبا ..
أولادي قساة القلوب ،
لا أدري كيف تكونت قسوتهم على هذا النحو ؟!
أمهم – رحمها الله - كانت رقيقة و عطوفة ..
أما انا فما قسوت على أي منهم قط !
بناتي رفضن البحث لي عن زوجة مناسبة ..
رفضن الفكرة من الأساس...
لن يسمحن بإحلال أي إنسان محل والدتهن ،
تلك كانت حجتهن ....
ربما لم يسمعن بالمثل القائل << أعزب دهر و لا أرمل شهر >>
و عندما تزوجتُ من إحدى عاملات المصنع ناصبوني العداء ..
<< تتزوج عاملة في مصنعك يا أبي ؟ تهبط بمستوانا الإجتماعي إلى أسفل سافلين يا ابي ؟ >>
<< و لكنكم رفضتم البحث لي عن زوجة مناسبة يا أولادي و على الأخص أنتن يا بناتي! >>
إبني سامي، لم يتقبل الوضع على الإطلاق !
أما بناتي ، فقد رضخن – فيما بعد - للأمر الواقع ، على ألا يقمن معها أي اتصال ..
تلومني أم هيفاء لأنني كنت سلبيا يوم الحادثة ..
و هل كان بمقدوري أن أكون غير ذلك ؟
إنه إبني و سندي و ساعدي الأيمن في إدارة المصنع ..
<< ماذا كانت تتوقع مني أم هيفاء ؟ >>
<< تريدينني أن أصفعه مثلا يا أم هيفاء ؟ أم تريدنني أن أهينه أمام العمال ؟ إنه أطول مني قامة يا أم هيفاء ! >>
ما أن رآها – سامحه الله - في مكتبي ، حتى دفعها فألقاها أرضا ..
أربكني الموقف ..
عطل تفكيري ..
شل يديَّ ..
لها الحق أن تطلب الطلاق ...
لها الحق أن تعتبرني جبانا رعديدا ، لأنني لم أدافع عنها !
و لي الحق أن أكتفي بلومه ، فهو ابني و سندي و ساعدي الأيمن ..
أرادت الطلاق فمنحته لها دونما اعتراض ..
و لكن ما ذنب هيفاء ، أن تعيش كاليتيمة ؟
أصبحت في الثالثة عشر ..
و آن الأوان أن تتعرف إلى بقية أفراد العائلة ..
و أن تعيش في كنف أبيها و رعايته المباشرة ..
سامي عارض ذلك بشدة ، قلبه قُدَّ من حجر..
أما بناتي فقد صمتن
أليس الصمت دليل القبول ؟
طوال الطريق ، كان أبو سامي ، يصف لابنته هيفاء منزل العائلة ، بساحته الرحبة و شجرة النارنج الوارفة التي تتوسطها بجوار البحرة بمائها الدافق، و بطابقيه المليئين بالغرف الفسيحة ، و إطلال بعضها على النهر !
<< ربما ستزكم أنفك رائحته النتنة بداية ، و لكن سرعانما ستعتادين عليها يا هيفاء >> قال لها مبتسما ثم أضاف :-
<< سيحبونك يا هيفاء ، و بالتأكيد سوف تحبينهم جميعا ؛ أخوك سامي ربما يقابلك ببعض جفاء ، و لكنه طيب القلب و سوف يغير موقفه مع الوقت ، أما أخواتك فسيضممنك إلى صدورهن و يضعنك على رؤوسهن >>

قرع الباب مرتين كعادته ليعلم أهل الدار بقدومه ،
ثم فتحه ،
ثم تقدم و بيده يد هيفاء ،
يدفعها نحوهم ،
يقدمها إليهم ،
يتأملونها بنظراتهم الحادة و جباههم المقطبة..
ثم ...
ثم تلتفت كبراهن إلى والدها قائلة بحزم :
- أبي ..
قبل أن ترمي هيفاء خمارها ،
و قبل السلام و الكلام ،
سأرتدي ثيابي على عجل ،
و سأصحبها إلى الداية أم لطفي ،
فقد اتفقت معها مسبقا !
- و ما علاقة الداية أم لطفي بهيفاء يا صفية ؟ يسألها والدها مشدوها ، فتجيبه :
= أم لطفي يجب أن تفحصها ..
فما يدرينا كيف كانت تنشئتها في حضن عاملة ؟
و يحتدم النقاش ، و يتحول إلى شجار ...
و هيفاء قرب الباب صامتة باكية ...
و فجأة ، تجفف دموعها ، ثم تصيح قائلة :
- أبي .. أعدني إلى أمي في الحال ..
أو أذهب لوحدي ...

8. Mayyada, Uncle, and Me

In justification of what had happened, my friend, Ma'moun, told me that he loved her deeply and, for him, she meant all his future.
She, too, loved him deeply and, for her, he meant all her future.
They never imagined that anything, no matter how grave, would stand in their way and, eventually, get separated.
Wherever he felt he missed her, he used to tour around their house till she was able to appear on the balcony. And in their agreed-upon sign language, they had been dating in the park at a near-by neighborhood ever since their first meeting during which they talked over their mutual love and started to plan for their future.

Nothing new about their story up to this point. For thousands of lovers express their passions daily and, unquestionably, this has been a common practice since Adam and Eve.
Their story, however, started just after the last date?! He could see no more of her.
Her absence preoccupied his thinking.
He became terribly worried.
He became sleepless, distressed and, in a word, shattered!
He thought that she had not been feeling well, sick perhaps.
For he guessed somebody might have seen them together in the park and reported to her parents.
He guessed over and over again…
He started going around their house as a lunatic. Roaming about the house, now and then, became the name of the game. Every time he was around, nothing but the balcony caught his eyes. His tender heart and deep affections made him too often than not lose control over himself; he very much wanted to go up to that balcony, to nock on the door, to ask about her…
"But in what capacity?! " he wondered while agonizing, experiencing the anguish of solitude, and seeing the world in and out only in a black!
On the third or the fourth day, a little girl approached him and asked: "Aren’t you Mr. Ma'moun ?"
Having got a 'yeh!' in the affirmative, she handed him a slip of paper unfolding a one-line message written so majestically that he was about to lose his sanity and balance:
"I am engaged and this is why I've not been able to see you.
I tried so hard to refuse that, in turn, I was slapped mercilessly."

He fumed with jealously having filled his heart an head. Ill-luck, despair, and bitterness, all conspired! And his vigorous manly passions gave no room to anything else in the world but fight for her and take revenge over those who had (and/or have) slapped and smacked her.
And , as before, he asked: "In what capacity can I face it?!"
He didn't dare have a talk with his parents to ask for hand; for he was still a high-school student, which should mean that had to wait for a few years more to be able to make proper decisions…
So he poco a poco began to suppress his anxieties and accept the status quo.

But …

One day, he was invited to his granduncle’s wedding party.
Astounding, and unexpected! It was not a phantom!
There was sitting the queen of heart, his love , Mayyada, in flesh and blood, his uncle's bride!!!!!

He was about to cry out: "This is my own sweetheart”…
He was on the verge of leaving his seat to snatch her off his uncle's hand ….
But he was more for retreat, yet heart broken!
For the bridegroom was his granduncle who used to love and honor him.
So he stopped considering his foolish ideas,
And made his way out through the crowd, and returned home desperately as if the whole world turned black…

She noticed him as he was leaving and, suddenly, a glow of fire filled her face, and tears filled her eyes.

And as days passed, during which Ma'moun had busied himself, especially with his school assignments, not to mention the voluntary extra work he asked for and indulged in, his mother ( May God forgive her!) asked him to go and invite Mayyada to his youngest sister's birthday…
At the beginning he refused, but since his reasons were not convincing enough, his mother insisted on his going. So it was hard for him to anger her….

"Ma'moun?!!" said she in a whisper-like; the surprise tied her tongue .
His tongue got tied, too, upon seeing her.
Her face was glowing…
Her lightning eyes were filled with love and amiability.
He could find no word to start with.
"Every bit of me aspires for holding you between my arms, dear Mayyadah", said he in secrecy to himself.
And as if she got the message telepathically, she whispered but, likewise, to herself:
"Me, too, Ma'moun; every single cell of my body yearns for every single cell of yours to get united. She continued musing over her hidden feelings:
"I wish I could you let in, Ma'moun, but a solid wall stands between you and me."
Then she added with a trembling voice:
"I'm sorry, Ma'moun, … can't… let…you in…"
He nodded…
And inhibited, with difficulty, a teardrop that was to convey his feelings..
He felt unable to make any comment; for it was quite sufficient for a nod to be a sign that stood for what she had meant.
She remained looking into his eyes for long…
He, too, delved into her eyes for long…
Then he articulated softly:
“Mom has sent me to invite you to…
But instead of completing what he had just said, he ventured to ask:
“Are you happy?"
She nodded…
After a considerable span of silence, she lifted her head.
Her cheeks were by then wet; she answered:
"You know I've been forced to…"
"I've been no more than a commodity, now a second-hand, to be rid off before getting too old!" she whispered to herself.
Then she added cynically within the same stream of consciousness:
"I've been no more than a lamb who is fed, bred, and nurtured in order to be slaughtered on the Sacrifice Feast.
Then she added with audible whispers: “No, I’m not happy…
As you are aware, he’s quarter of a century older than me in the least. He’s exactly of my father’s generation…
The language of passions is lacking in his dictionary.
And for him, I’m no more than a maid in his house or a nurse observing his medication times prescribed for rheumatism, blood pressure and diabetes.
But he is nice and generous, not to mention his high morals which have made no room for grumbling or complaining.”
She slightly nodded, and added:
“And as he’s impotent, there is no hope of carrying a baby. “
His eloquence failed him to sympathize with her the way it ought to have been. He couldn’t express his sincere sad feelings in any other way than saying:” I’m awfully sorry, Mayyada.”

Giving him no chance to continue, she suddenly asked:” Are you prepared to marry me if I ask him to divorce me??! Or, better phrased: do you still keep your love?”
Her courage and surprising stance, to tell the truth, stunned him. He stammered before he could answer:
“But he’s my uncle, Mayyada, my uncle who has been kind and affectionate. I can’t hurt him. I dare not befall him any wrong doing.”
Her seriousness and pragmatism seemed to have the upper hand in the debate:
“What’s he to lose if you marry me after I get his divorce??”
She bashfully nodded with a whisper on her lips:
“To be straight with you: I’m still virgin!!!”

Then added my friend, Ma’moun:

Although he left her, heavily burdened with renewed anxieties, overwhelmed by new life disturbances….
And, nonetheless, uncertainties….
He was yet to determine not to see her again.

A few more months later, he knew that the divorce had taken place.. That his uncle was quite understanding and civilized, my friend, Ma'moun, found the courage to discuss the whole issue with him openly.

His uncle became not only his recommender, but a real supporter of Ma'moun in finding a job that would enable him to get married and continue his studies, as well as a good–will intermediary to his parents in order to convince them that Mayyada was to be married to Ma'moun…

Then the granduncle was off the stage in the end!
And my friend, Ma'moun, came to the close saying:
That was my story:
Mayyada, Uncle, and ME!,
And," as you see, I've not robbed her off… And it was no treatury, as the rumors go…"

حدثني صديقي مأمون في معرض تبريره لما حصل ، فقال :
أنه أحبها من كل قلبه ، و ربط مستقبله بحبها ،
و أنها أحبته من كل قلبها و ربطت مستقبلها بحبه ،
لم يتخيلا يوما أن أمرا مهما عظم ، قادر على أن يفرق بينهما ..
عندما كان يشتاق إليها ، كان يحوم حول منزلها إلى أن تظهر على شرفته ،
و بلغة الإشارات كانا يتواعدان للقاء في حديقة الحي المجاور ، العامة ؛ حيث التقيا أول مرة ...
ليتبادلا لواعج الهوى ... و يرسما خطوط مستقبلهما معا ....

قصتهما حتى اللحظة ليس فيها جديد ...
آلاف الأحبة يتبادلون لواعج الهوى كل يوم منذ الأزل و حتى الأزل ؛
قصتهما بدأت منذ انقطاعها عن لقائه ؟!
شغل باله انقطاعها ...
أقلقه ...
أرَّق منامه و أمضَّ كيانه ...
ظنها مريضة ،
و ظن أن أحدا ربما شاهدهما في الحديقة معا فأبلغ أهلها ،
و ظن .. و ظن.. و ظن ..
كان يحوم حول منزلها كالمختل عقليا ، ثم يعود ليحوم حول منزلها من جديد ،
و عيناه شاخصتان نحو شرفتها ، و كذلك قلبه و جميع جوارحه ..
كاد يفقد سيطرته على نفسه مرارا ،
ففكر تكرارا أن يصعد إليها ،
أن يقرع بابها ..
أن يسأل عنها..
و لكن بأية صفة ؟ كان يتساءل ، بينما كان يتجرع آلام الفراق و الأفكار السوداء..
و في يوم ثالث أو رابع ، تقدمت منه طفلة ؛ سألته : " حضرتك مأمون ؟ "
و إذ تأكدت ناولته وريقة ،كتبت عليها بأناملها العاجية سطرا واحدا كاد يذهب بعقله و اتزانه :
<< لقد تمت خطبتي ، و لم أعد أتمكن من مقابلتك ، حاولت الرفض فكان نصيبي ( علقة ساخنة ) ، >>

اشتعلت نار الغيرة في رأسه ،
و نار الخيبة و المرارة واليأس ،
و نار النخوة أيضا ..
شعر أنه مستعد ليقاتل الدنيا ليدفع عنها شر ( العلقات ) ما بارد منها و ما سخن ..
و لكن بأية صفة ؟!
لم يجرؤ على مفاتحة أهله حول طلب يدها ، إذ لازل طالبا في الثانوية العامة ، و بينه و بين تكوين نفسه بضع سنوات أخرى ..
و رويدا رويدا بدأ يرضخ للأمر الواقع ،
و لكن ...
ذات يوم دُعي إلى حفل زواج عمه الكبير ...
و هناك كانت المفاجأة الصاعقة ....
كانت حبيبته ( ميادة ) بشحمها و لحمها ، هي عروس عمه !!!!
كاد يصرخ : << هذه حبيبتي أنا >> ..
كاد ينهض فيختطفها من بين يديه ...
و لكنه آثر الإنسحاب كسير الخاطر ..
فالرجل عمّه الكبير الذي يحبه و يجله ..
فكف عن أفكاره الحمقاء ،
ثم تسلل من بين الجموع و عاد إلى داره خائبا و قد اسودت الدنيا في عينيه ...
لمحته و هو ينصرف
فاشتعل وجهها فجأة ، و اغرورقت عيناها .
و مضت الأيام و بدأ مأمون يسلو قليلا ..
واجباته المدرسية ألهته ...
بل كان يسعى إلى واجبات إضافية طوعية ، كي يزداد غرقا في السلوان ..
لولا ان والدته – سامحها الله – أرسلته ، ليدعوها إلى عيد ميلاد شقيقته الصغرى ..
تمنع بداية ، إلا أن حججه كانت واهية ، فاصرت والدته ، و لم يهن عليهَ إغضابها ..

- مأمون ؟!!
همست ، و قد عقدت الدهشة لسانها ...
و عقدت رؤيتها لسانه ،
كان وجهها يطفح نورا ...
كانت عيناها تشتعل ودا و حبا ...
فاحتار كيف يبدأ ..
<< كل ذرة في كياني تهفو لضمك بين ذراعي ، يا ميادة >> قالها في سره ..
و كأنها فهمت الرسالة بالايحاء فأجابت هامسة ، و لكن إلى ذاتها أيضا : ..
<<و أنا كذلك ، كل خلية من جسدي تهفو – اللحظة - للإتحاد بكل خلية من جسدك ، يا مأمون >> أسرت إلى ذاتها ، ثم أضافت بسرها كذلك :
<< ليتني أستطيع أن أدعوك للدخول ، و لكن جدارا صلدا يحول بيني و بينك يا مأمون .. >> ثم اضافت بنبرة مرتعشة :
- أنا آسفة .. يا مأمون .. لن أتمكن... من... دعوتك للدخول ...
يطرق رأسه ...
يمنع – بعد لأي – دمعة أرادت نقل مشاعره ..
يعجز عن الإجابة ، فيكتفي بهز رأسه علامة إداركه ما عنته ؛
ظلت تنظر إلى عينيه طويلا ..
و استمر يحدج عينيها طويلا ....
ثم نطق متلجلجا :
- ماما أرسلتني أدعوك ..
و لكنه قطع العبارة ليفاجئها بسؤاله :
- هل أنت سعيدة ؟
أطرقت برأسها ..
صمتت فترة ليست بقصيرة ..
ثم رفعت رأسها و قد ابتلت وجنتاها ، ثم أجابت :
- أنت تعلم أنني كنت مرغمة ...
<< لم أكن أكثر من سلعة حان وقت التخلص منها قبل أن تبور >> همست ذاتها لذاتها ، ثم أضافت ساخرة << لم أكن أكثر من خروف تم تسمينه و علفه و تدليله ، استعدادا لذبحه في العيد الكبير..>>
ثم أضافت بصوت هامس و لكنه مسموع :
- لا ، لست سعيدة
أنت تعلم أنه يكبرني بربع قرن على الأقل ..
بالضبط هو من جيل والدي ...
و قد ألغى لغة العواطف من قاموسه ...
و بالنسبة إليه لست أكثر من خادمة في منزله أو ممرضة تراعي أوقات أدوائه ...
للسكري و الضغط و الروماتيزم
و لكنه إنسان لطيف و كريم ، و دماثة خلقه تمنعني من التذمر أو الشكوى ..
أطرقت قليلا برأسها ثم أضافت :
- و ليس لي أي أمل بالانجاب منه ...
لم تسعفه فصاحته أن يعزيها بكلمة ،
لم يتمكن من التعبير عن حزنه الشديد إلا بعبارة : " كم أنا آسف يا ميادة "
ثم فجأة طرحت عليه السؤال التالي :
- إذا طلبت منه الطلاق ، هل أنت على استعداد للزواج مني ؟؟ ! و بالأحرى هل لا زلت على حبك مقيماً ؟
أربكته – حقيقةً – بسؤالها المفاجئ الجريء هذا ،
تلعثم كثيرا قبل أن يجيبها :
- إنه عمي يا ميادة ، عمي الذي أحب و أجل ، فلا أقوى على إيذائه و الإساءة إليه ..
فأجابته بكل جدية و واقعية :
- ماذا يضيره إذا تزوجتني بعد طلاقي منه ؟؟
ثم أضافت هامسة و قد أطرقت برأسها خجلا :
و لعلمك فأنا لا زلت عذراء !!..
ثم أضاف صديقي مأمون :
أنه غادرها وهو مثقل بهم جديد ..
و اضطراب جديد ..
و حيرة جديدة ..
إلا أنه لم يحاول مقابلتها ثانية ..
و بعد بضعة شهور أخرى ، علم أن الطلاق قد تم ..
و أن عمه كان متفهما و تعامل مع الموضوع في غاية الرقي ..
مما شجع صديقي مأمون على مصارحته !
فكان وسيطه لتدبير مصدر رزق جيد يسمح له بزواجه و استمرار دراسته ..
ثم كان بنفسه وسيطه لدى والديه و اقناعهما بزواجه من ميادة..
ثم نأى عنهما ...
و اختتم صديقي مأمون قائلا :
تلك كانت قصتي
أنا و عمي و ميّادة
و كما ترى لم أسرقها منه ...
و لم يكن في الأمر خيانة كما يشاع ..

9. Dogs and Children

After having finished school classes, they headed to their homes quickly. They threw their books away randomly. They took off their school uniforms and threw them aside, also randomly. They had their meals in a hurry. They put on their traditional overall ropes [dishdasha] in no time. And in no time did they head to the neighbor-hood playground; for the dog fight between Seemo and Sheemo this day would be so heated that one had to die….

The children around formed a circle to watch the show closely…..
Hmoud was getting hold of Seemo’s collar, and Omar was getting hold of
Sheemo’s.

As soon as they were face-to-face, they started snarling, showing off their teeth, producing challenging and sniffing voices, and then barking angrily and uninterruptedly!
The children had nothing but instigate a fight…
Each dog seemed to have fans: one team was shouting’ hurrah’ for Hmoud’s dog, and another:’Go. Go!’ for Omar’s.

Collars off, they set them free…
And Hmoud’s dog started the attack right away.
Clutching their teeth, the fight had been so fierce that each was snipping the other’s skin off…
Blood had by then smeared their bodies …
The children continued shrieking and instigating the fight hysterically…
“Outdo him, Sheemo! Kill him !”
“ Outplay him, Seemo! Finish him off!”

But…

Seemo, panting heavily, began to collapse down; his barks shunted into groans and, in the end, was out of breath.
Thus Omar announced Sheemo’s victory over Seemo triumphantly and happily. his and the dog’s fans shared him the shouts of victory!
Hmoud lamented his loss and went mad at his defeated Seemo; for he let him down.

Hmoud, a twelve-year old boy, addicted to inhaling benzene, poured what had remained in his benzene can over Seemo…
And Hmoud, a heavy smoker, too, took out his lighter off his pocket and set Seemo ablaze…

The night had just started its journey dressing the area in black while Seemo, then a lump of fire and light, was performing the dance of death all alone in the playground.

Ten years later, Hmoud had growing feelings that his sister, Lulwa, had been having a relation with one of his friends over the phone.
He became furious…
His mother, a drumbeater in a women’s band hired for wedding parties, was on duty that night.
His father was, as usual, spending his erotic night with friends on some farm….
The servants in the house kitchen were chatting.
Unalarmed, and while heading to her bedroom, Hmoud poured all the benzene in his can over her body.
And before Lulwa had time enough to figure out his intentions, he coldly took out his lighter off his pocket, and in cold blood set his sister ablaze!
Dark night had just been creeping all over, and Lulwa emerged as a lump of fire and light performing the dance of death all alone in the house yard!

9 –

بعد الإنصراف من المدرسة ، توجهوا إلى دورهم مسرعين ، ألقوا بكتبهم كيفما اتفق ، نزعوا عنهم ثياب المدرسة الموحدة و ألقوها- أيضا - كيفما اتفق ، تناولوا طعامهم على عجل ، ارتدوا دشاديشهم (ملابسهم الشعبية) بلمح البصر، و بلمح البصر توجهوا إلى ساحة الحي ، فالمباراة لهذا اليوم ستكون حامية الوطيس ، فسيمو و شيمو سوف يتصارعان حتى الموت .....
يتحلق الأطفال في دائرة ...
حمود يمسك برباط سيمو ، و عمر يمسك برباط شيمو ...
ما أن يلمح أحدهما الآخر حتى يكشران عن أنيابهما ، ثم يصدران همهمات تهديدية ، ثم ينبحان غاضبين !
الأطفال يصيحون محرضين ...
الأطفال انقسموا إلى فريقين أحدهما يشجع كلب حمود و الثاني يشجع كلب عمر
يحررانهما من رباطهما ..
فيبدأ كلب حمود بالهجوم ...
و تحتدم المعركة بين الكلبين ...
يمزقان جلود بعضهما بعضا ...
تُصبغ جلودهما بدمائهما ....
و الأطفال لا زالوا يصيحون صيحات التحريض الهستيرية ....
إذبحه يا شيمو ! .....
إقضِ عليه يا سيمو !.....
و لكن ....
يبدأ سيمو بالانهيار ، يتحول نباحه إلى غثاء ثم إلى فحيح ...
ثم يعلن عمر انتصار شيمو على سيمو فرحاً ، و يشاطره مناصروه صيحات الفرح !...
يستشيط حمود غضبا من كلبه سيمو المنهزم ، فقد خذله اللعين ...
حمود ذو الثانية عشر ، المدمن على شم البانزين* ، يصب ماتبقى في علبته من البانزين ، فوق سيمو ...
و حمود المدمن أيضا على التدخين ، يخرج ولاعته من جيبه ، ثم يشعل النار بسيمو....
كان الليل قد ألقى بستاره الداكن فبدا سيمو شعلة من نار و نور ، و هو يرقص في ساحة الحي رقصة الموت !

بعد عشر سنوات ،
تنامى لحمود أن شقيقته لولوه على علاقة هاتفية مع أحد أصدقائه ،
يستشيط غضبا ...
والدته التي تعمل قارعة دف ( طقاقة ) في فرقة نسائية تحيي الأفراح ، كانت تمارس مهنتها .
والده كان مع أصدقائه في سهرة ماجنة - كعادته - في إحدى المزارع ...
الخدم كانوا في المطبخ يتسامرون ؛
و في غفلة منها و بينما كانت تتجه إلى غرفة نومها ....
يلقى عليها ملء علبته من البانزين .
و قبل أن تدرك لولوه ما يفعله ، أخرج ولاعته من جيبه بكل برود ، و بكل برود أوقد شقيقته !
كان الليل قد أرخى بستاره الداكن ، فبدت لولوه شعلة من نار و نور ، و هي ترقص في ساحة الدار ( الحوش ) رقصة الموت !

* الإدمان على شم البانزين أو السكوتين يشبه الإدمان على المخدرات

10. PARENTAGE Vs. Parentage

"Hi, dad! Hi, mom! Terrific news!”
“What is it?”
“Well, I've got acquainted with a fabulous girl. She's my mate in the university and loves me in return …"
His father, struck by what he had just heard, gazed at him and held his mouth wide open…
His mother, on her own part, was also stunned; she could hardly draw a smile on her face…
Giving him no time to utter a word more, she machine-gunned him with questions: "Is she beautiful? Tall? Short? Fair? Brown? What about her family? Her social and economic status? Are her parents aware of their daughter’s ins and outs and her ill-favored behavior? And are ….? And …..?"

Shocked by his mother's stand, Tarik went breathless. When he started to answer, his father interrupted him reprehensively: "Have you joined the university to love and make love , you scoundrel? Haven't you got rid of your boyish behavior yet?!"

Still unable to restore his normal breath, Tarik retorted with difficulty: "This is not boyish or girlish, dad? It's serious; this is my life, dad!" Then he turned to his mother , now more confidently and resolutely, saying :" Irrespective of her appearance, mom, and regardless of her family's social and economic standard, I love her, and I will get married as soon as I get a university degree. As for her manners, she's the noblest of all nobleness.."

The father jumped off his seat furiously in retaliation of his son's: " This, I call 'audacity' , you scoundrel! It's just unacceptable! We cover your high expenditures in order for you to learn, not to waste time on talk that is void of common sense…! " Then he resolutely concluded: " No for married love.. No for marriage off the traditional record.. No marriage prior to graduation, work, and self-reliance. You have no right to choose whoever you admire…Go to your books right now, you scoundrel! And stop this ridiculous show!"

"I've not died yet. I am Kawthar's father. I am her guardian; she is my responsibility. I have the upper hand in their house. Therefore, you are not in a position to offend her at all. Just leave the matter to me. This is an order, not a plea. Got it?!"

Kawthar got back from university. She made her way to the sitting room. Faces were grim! She noticed her mother's tears. As she had used to, Kawthar kissed her father's hand, but he shunned her roughly.
"What's the matter?" she asked.
Her brother, a physician, wanted to answer her , but the father asked him to say no word.
"What's the matter, for God's sake?" she asked again, but insistently.
The father answered her briefly: "Some lady called up your two brothers and told them that you have a relation with a university mate, called Tarik. Is that true?"
"Yes, that's true," she honestly answered. His fury culminated; he continued with a more forceful note:
"But the lady also said he has a rented flat and that you both meet there. Isn't that true?"
Kawthar smacked her cheeks with her two hands, and rushed to the holy Qur'an hanging on the forefront of the room. She picked it up and swore that it was not true, and that it would have been mischievous for her to do such an act…
"But who is this fraud?" asked Kawthar excitedly.
Her brother, the physician, answered ironically:" It's his mother, Miss Kawthar; it's his mother!"

One year later

"Good morning, dad. Happy feast!"
"Who? Tarik? What has reminded you of us after all these days?"
" You and mom have ever been on mind, dad. It's feast days; all people ought to have their hearts open, and be merciful, isn't it so, dad?"
"Is it that simple? And after you've betrayed us?"
" 'Betrayal' is too much a word, dad! But let's forget about the past, dad, and give ‘coming into good terms’ some chance…
" We've been told that you became a father!"
" Yes, that's true! Our son is three months now. Aren't you anxious to see your grand- son who carries your name, dad?"
" We've also come to know that you've been living in a place owned by your father –in-law?!”
" That's also true. And he covers all our expenditures, including university fees. He's nice and sympathetic ,dad.”
"And you did accept him to buy you?!"
"No, dad; no body could buy me! I'll pay him, as agreed, every single penny he has spent on us as soon as I get a degree and find a job."
Then added he with a blameful tone:
"Don’t you ever stop reprimanding me, dad?"
"But you ignored us, Tarik…and hurt us…"
"And what about the pain mom has caused my wife and me? Anyway, dad, let’s forget it and start afresh."
Then Tarik added with a tender voice filled with hope:
" I wonder if you'll receive us warmly, dad, have we paid a visit and bade you ' good wishes' on the occasion of Fitr Feast?"

And all unexpectedly, his mother snatched the receptor off his father's hand and answered her son resolutely:
"Listen, Tarik ! We hold no grudge against you personally; you are our offspring, and the only son ! You and your son will be always a welcome in this house. As for your wife who took you away from us, I say: no way!".

10-

" والديَّ العزيزين ، لديَّ خبر يهمكما ، لقد تعرفت على فتاة رائعة ، هي زميلتي في الجامعة ، و هي تبادلني عواطفي ......."
يحملق والده في وجهه فاغراً فاه ...
تنظر إليه والدته مشدوهة بدورها ، و قد رسمت على شفتيها إبتسامة شاحبة ...
ثم تلاحقه والدته بأسئلتها : << أ جميلة هي ؟ طويلة ؟ قصيرة ؟ بيضاء ؟ سمراء ؟ ماذا عن عائلتها ؟ , و عن مستواها الإجتماعي و الإقتصادي ؟ و هل لدى أهلها عِلم بسلوك ابنتهم و استهتارها ؟ و هل .... و هل ؟..........>>
يرتبك طارق...يفاجئه موقف أمه ، يهم بالإجابة ، يقاطعه والده : << هل التحقت بالجامعة – يا ولد – كي تحب و تعشق ؟ ألم تتخلص بعد من ( ولدناتك ) ؟! >> يزداد طارق ارتباكا ، ثم يلملم شتات نفسه بصعوبة ثم ينطق مدافعا : << هذه ليست ولْدنة أو صبْينة يا أبي ، هذا أمر جاد و مصيريّ يا والدي ! >> ثم يلتفت إلى والدته قائلا بثقة و تصميم : << بصرف النظر عن شكلها الخارجي – يا أمي - و عن مستوى عائلتها الإجتماعي و الإقتصادي ، فأنا أحبها و سأرتبط بها حالما أنهي دراستي الجامعية ، أما عن أخلاقها فهي أشرف من الشرف .. >>
ينتفض الوالد غضبا و هو يرد على جرأة إبنه : << هذه قحة – يا ولد – لا أقبلها منك ، نحن نتكبد مصاريفك الباهظة ، لتتعلم و ليس لتضيع وقتك بمثل هذا الكلام الفارغ ...! >> ثم يضيف حاسما الموقف : << لا لزواج الحب .. لا للزواج بعيدا عن الأصول و الأعراف ، لا للزواج قبل التخرج و العمل و الإعتماد على الذات .. لا حق لك بالإختيار على هواك.... هيا إلى كتبك في الحال – يا ولد (!) - و كف عن هذا التهريج السخيف ! >>

<< أنا لم أمت بعد ؛ أنا والد كوثر و أنا وليّ أمرها و المسؤول عنها ، و كلمتي هي العليا في هذا البيت ؛ و أنا أمنعكما من إيذائها منعا باتّا و قاطعاً ، فقط إتركا المسألة لي ، هذا أمر و ليس رجاء .. مفهوم ؟! >>
تعود كوثر من الجامعة ، تدخل غرفة الجلوس ، تلاحظ تجهم الوجوه ، تنتبه إلى دموع والدتها ، تهم بتقبيل يد والدها كما جرت عادتها ، و لكنه يمنعها بغلظة ..
" ما الأمر؟ " تساءلت ؛
يحاول شقيقها الطبيب أن يجيبها ، فيأمره الوالد بالصمت .
" ما الأمر ؟ " تساءلت ثانية و بإلحاح ، فيجيبها الوالد باقتضاب : << ثمت سيدة إتصلت بشقيقَيْك و أبلغتهما أنك متعلقة بزميل لك في الجامعة اسمه طارق ، هل هذا صحيح ؟ >> ، تجيبه بكل براءة : ( نعم صحيح ! )
ثم يضيف بنبرة أقوى و وجه أشعله الغضب : << و تقول السيدة أيضاً أن لديه شقة مستأجرة و أنكما تلتقيان فيها ؛ هل هذا صحيح ؟ >>
تصفع كوثر خديها بيديها الإثنتين ، ثم تتوجه مندفعة إلى المصحف الشريف المعلق في صدر الغرفة ، تحمله و تقسم به أن ذلك غير صحيح و أنها لا يمكن أن ترتكب مثل هذه المعصية ...
( و لكن من هذه المفترية ؟ )
تتساءل كوثر منفعلة ، فيجيبها شقيقها الطبيب ساخراً : << إنها أمه يا ست كوثر .. إنها أمه ! >>

بعد عام واحد
- صباح الخير يا أبي و كل عام و أنت بخير..
= من طارق ؟ ما ذكّرك بنا بعد كل هذه الأيام ؟
- أنت و والدتي دوما على البال يا أبي ، و في العيد تصفو القلوب و تتراحم ، أليس كذلك يا أبي ؟
= بهذه البساطة ؟ و بعد أن غدرت بنا ؟
- الغدر كلمة كبيرة يا أبي ، و لكن دعنا من ذكر الماضي ، و افسح للصلح مجالا يا أبي ..
= علمنا أنك أصبحت أباً !...
- أجل ، وعمر إبني ثلاثة أشهر الآن ، ألست متشوقاً لرؤية حفيدك الذي يحمل إسمك يا أبي ؟
= و علمنا أنك تعيش في بيت يملكه حموك ؟!
- هذا صحيح و هو ينفق علينا من جيبه بما ذلك تكاليف الجامعة ، إنه رجل طيب و عطوف يا أبي .
= و قبلتَ ، أن يشتريك ؟!
- لم يشترِني أحد يا أبي ، و سوف أسدده – كما اتفقت معه - كل قرش حالما أتخرج و أعمل .
ثم أضاف معاتبا :
- ألن تكف عن لومي يا ابي ؟
= لقد تجاوزتنا يا طارق ... و آلمتنا ..
- و ماذا عن الألم الذي سببته والدتي لزوجتي و لي ؟
و لكن دعنا من هذا كله ‘ و لنتسامح يا أبي .
ثم أضاف بلهجة حانية راجية :
- ترى هل سترحبان بنا إذا زرناكما و قدمنا لكما تهانينا بعيد الفطر السعيد ، يا أبي ؟
تنتزع أمه مسرة الهاتف من أبيه ، لتجيب ولدها بحزم :
= إسمع يا طارق ، نحن لا نحقد عليك شخصيا فأنت وحيدنا و فلذة كبدنا ، أنت و إبنك مرحب بكما في بيتنا في كل حين ، و أما زوجتك التي سرقتك منا ، فلا

نبذة عن الكاتب

نزار بهاء الدين زين

يعد بهاء الدين زين, من مواليد دمشق 1931, من الأدباء العرب المعاصرين الذين يشار لهم بالبنان في كتابة القصة القصيرة بشكل خاص والرواية القصيرة والطويلة والمقال الأدبي بشكل عام، ناهيك عن كونه فنانا تشكيليا.

أنجز أول مجموعته القصصية بعنوان "ضحية المجتمع" عندما كان طالبا في الثانوية العامة. وبعد ثلاثين سنة من عشقه للأدب كتب مجموعته القصصية الثانية بعنوان "سارة روزنسكي".

لديه الآن زهاء ثمانين قصة قصيرة غير منشورة وستة عشر رواية قصيرة ورواية واحدة طويلة. نشر عدة مقالات أدبية في عدد من الصحف العربية، وعلى المواقع الألكترونية ذات الصلة، داخل وخارج الوطن العربي.

يشرف حاليا على اصدار مجلة "العربي الحر" من على موقعه الألكتروني:

www.freearabi.com

بمساعدة ولده وسيم. ومجموعة "جواري العصر" هي أول مجموعة قصصية تترجم إلى اللغة الأنكليزية إكراما له.

Author: Nizar B. Zain

Born in Damascus (1931 ___), Mr. Zain is an eminent Arab literary figure in exile who wrote his first collection of short stories titled “ The Society’s Victim” when he was a high-school boy. He started his career as a teacher, and it was only after thirty years of literary passion that he produced his second collection of short stories:
“Sara Rosensky”.

He has now over 80 unpublished short stories, 16 novellas, and one long novel in addition to his numerous literary articles in a number of Arab daily newspapers as well as on pertinent electronic sites, not to mention the fact that he has developed interest in plastic arts.

He has been living in the United States since 1990
and is now running:

www.freearabi.com

with the assistance of his son Waseem.

To honor him, “Maids of Our Time” is his first collection of short stories translated into English voluntarily by Prof. Dinha T. Gorgis.

نبذة عن المترجم

دنحا طوبيا كوركيس

المترجم من مواليد الموصل 1948. تلقى تعليمه في مدارس بغداد وحصل على درجة البكالوريوس في اللغة الأنكليزية وآدابها بتقدير "جيد حدا" من جامعة بغداد عام 1972 وأول درجة ماجستير في اللغة الأنكليزية وعلم اللغة بتقدير "جيد جدا" من الجامعة عينها عام 1975. تعين مترجما لدى السفارة الهولندية ببغداد لفترة وجيزة رغبة منه في الانتقال إلى التعليم الجامعي. تعين برتبة "مدرس مساعد" في قسم اللغة الأنكليزية / كلية الآداب بجامعة الموصل، ثم إلى رتبة "مدرس" عام 1978. سافر إلى المملكة المتحدة عام 1979 لدراسة الدكتوراه في علم اللغة المقارن، وحصل على الشهادة عام 1983. التحق بعدها بوظيفته وتمت ترقيته إلى مرتبة "أستاذ مساعد" عام 1984، ثم إلى مرتبة الأستاذية عام 1991. خلال عمله الأكاديمي، ورغم وطأة ظروف الحروب التي مر بها العراق، استطاع أن ينشر الكثير من البحوث العلمية والمقالات في الدوريات المحلية والدولية، وأن يشرف على العشرات من رسائل الماجستير والدكتوراه في حقل اختصاصه. منح شهادة تقديرية لعلماء العراق في علم اللغة عام 1999، غادر بعدها إلى ليبيا للتدريس في جامعاتها، وهو يعمل في الجامعة الهاشمية بالأردن برتبة "أستاذ" منذ عام 2001. نال شهادة تقديرية عن مركز توثيق الأعلام في كيمبرج بانكلترا كرجل عام 2000 لإسهامه العلمي، وشهادة تقديرية أخرى من الجمعية الدولية للمترجمين العرب عام 2006 لإسهاماته الفكرية والثقافية. وهو الآن عضو هيئة تحرير المجلة الدولية للغويات التي تصدر عن الاتحاد الأوروبي.

Translator: Dinha Tobiya Gorgis

Born in Mosul (1948___), Dr Gorgis has been professor of linguistics since 1991. He obtained his B.A. in English language & literature (1972), his M.A. in English language & linguistics (1975) from Baghdad University, and his Ph.D. in linguistics (1983) from Manchester University. He started career as a translator at the Netherlands embassy in Baghdad, but since 1975 he has been involved in research, B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. theses supervision, as well as teaching at a number of Arab universities. He has since then published a considerable number of papers and articles in national and international journals, magazines, and newspapers.

He is ex-member of the Linguistic Association of Great Britain, member of the International Pragmatics Association, member of the Iraqi Writers’ union, and member of The World Arab Association of Translators and Linguists (WATA). He is ex-member on the editorial board of Adab Al-Rafidayn, journal of the College of Arts, University of Mosul, and presently co-editor to the online international journal Linguistik (published by the European Union).

He was awarded an honor certificate in linguistics by Mosul University, and the State medal for Iraqi scientists in 1999, selected as Man of 2001 by the International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, and an honor certificate in recognition of his contribution and achievements by WATA in 2006.

He may be approached via email for further particulars:

gorgis_3@yahoo.co.uk